1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Chromium ported to N900

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Apr 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. NickCPC

NickCPC Member

Chromium on an N900 sounds good to me! I'm still waiting for Fennec for my N95 though...

3. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

The N900 is the best device I've ever owned.

The microB browser which ships as default is awesome. It runs youtube perfectly as well as having a good go at most other flash. Firefox on the N900 has some nice touches but overall I find myself using microB 99% of the time.

I'm hoping the PR 1.2 OS update will enable flash HW acceleration so I can watch BBC iPlayer smoothly (it's a bit hit-and-miss atm)

4. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Wonder if they'll release it for other mobile devices. If they wanna seriously challange the mobile market they're gonna have to. Guess it doesn't support multi touch either since they released on the N900 which has a resistive screen. If they can get that working then it could possibly make a great browser for the likes of the HP slate.

5. Vigilante

Vigilante Member

Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly, but since the device runs a version of linux, it should run chromium directly after being built from source for the platform, no?

What's the actual differences between this and the standard linux build? The interface is already pretty streamlined (and from what I can tell, the interface has remained exactly the same on this version anyway), so I'm just wondering how it classifies as a port.

6. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

It's a bit touchy, but it works.

@eddtox
    Agreed! It kicks seven shades of the rainbow out of any phone in the market now, as far as I'm concerned. Firefox on the N900 suffers from long start times, which turns me off, since I'm used to closing every application when I'm not touching my N900 for a while. PR 1.2 probably won't enable hardware Flash acceleration - you have to wait for Adobe to release the updated drivers for Nokia to enable it, unless you're somehow suggesting that Nokia should do Adobe's job. Not that I mind, though. ;D, anything to make the release of PR 1.2 for the N900 faster! The SDK is already out, which means that Nokia probably is just waiting for the final component (Adobe GPU accelerated Flash 10) to release it to us!

@Vigilante. The standard chromium is compiled for x86 processors, not for ARM, which the N900 uses. IF, we were to use Intel's Moorestown processor which is based on the x86 process, there would be a higher chance of stock applications working, but then it's still not guaranteed.

@Javaman It's not an official release - it's made by hackers, for hackers. Installation isn't a walk in the park. Google does not support this, but neither do they forbid this.

@NickCPC - Fennec is quite awesome with Weave support, but it's actually called Firefox, only the developmental builds are called Fennec.

7. Vigilante

Vigilante Member

chromium has had an ARM port for over a year, it was in development as part of the Chromium OS project which, itself, has an ARM port. It compiles and runs with no modifications on ARM-based linux distros, that's the point I'm making.

8. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog New Member

I am not sure what Chromium is supposed to offer. The only main reference in the article above regards flash playback from sites such as YouTube which as far as I know already work on a generic N900... Can someone please explain a bit more to a none N900 owner?

Thanks.

9. shanky887614

shanky887614 New Member

bassically this tweak is suposed to give full features of a full browser to a phone for example tabs in the browser among otherthings

10. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog New Member

So is it a browser that has been hacked to work? Or a full OS running side by side with Maemo or instead of?

11. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

the N900's multitasking means you don't really need tabs, you just switch to dashboard view and you have all your web pages spread before you!

I've tried 3 different browsers on my N900; MicroB (built-in), Firefox (Fennec) and Midori (generic WebKit) and always give up on the letter two and revert to MicroB because it's brilliant!

12. shaffaaf27

shaffaaf27 The budget builder

and firefox to the palm pre :) wheres the article for that?

Tags: Add Tags