1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows CitiesXL

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by DarkLord7854, 9 Sep 2009.

1. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Any of you guys try the Demo? http://www.citiesxl.com/

I just finished it and I must say.. Wow, what a game. I've always loved SimCity4 but always been frustrated by how much work is necessary to get a profitable city, and it would require flipping between a bunch of cities to achieve, the game was a bit slow, and for me extremely unstable..

So CitiesXL takes after SimCity4, except it has sooo many more options for building, yet less. It gives you greater variety but gives you these incredibly easy to use tools to create cities that's it's a no-brainer to put a large metropolis together.

The finance system is also significantly easier to use while also being extremely complex, there's tons of different attributes and influences on how your budget will come out, but it's done in a way that it won't become something you'll need to worry about until you start getting a decent-sized city.

I found the gameplay to be incredibly immersive, challenging yet not frustrating at all while giving you an enormous amount of creative freedom on a HUGEEE scale. One of the maps I played had so much room on it that I could have built 7 fairly large cities and still have tons and tons of room separating them and requiring miles of road.

And then the real kicker is.. it's actually an MMO.. you play on an extremely large Planet shared by hundreds if not thousands of other cities, and each player can create their own trade agreements between each other, cancels deals, change them, connect to each other via roads, etc etc.

Truly quite awesome, sadly the demo ended right when I was really getting into it, so I pre-ordered the game >.>

There's lots of other stuff I didn't mention also, like being able to zoom right in till you can see little sims playing basketball and stuff on the courts. Really quite intricate, and the amazing thing is, it doesn't lag, at all. It's so incredibly smooth.

I highly recommend getting the demo and would love to see a review on it.

Last edited: 9 Sep 2009
  2. Mithyx

Mithyx There is no Dremel

I've never heard of this before... gonna start the download when I get home.

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I believe there was a thread about some previews of this game a year or so ago on here and it looked really cool, will have to check it out.

4. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I'm a big fan of Sim City 4 but i simply can't stand Sim City Societies because it's been dumbed down so much it's a completely different game. I'm guessing this is more like Societies than 4, but i'll give it a try anyways - maybe it'll be in between the two.

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Bah, looks like it's an MMO for some reason. I really can't see a reason why I'd want to pay monthly for a game I'm probably not gonna play a whole lot.

6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Wait, it's a monthly pay for MMO? It looked interesting until that.

7. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Wait, MMO? F*** that. The only MMO i'm willing to pay for is APB.

8. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

DragunovHUN, that's quite a statement to make considering APB isn't even released yet :p

/hijack

9. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

^Yeah, but i'll be allover it the moment it comes out :p

10. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Lol.

It's has an MMO component if you so choose to use it but the game can play just fine in Singleplayer FREE mode.

If you don't pay, you don't get the multiplayer features, but you get everything else.

11. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I've been keeping my eye on this one, looks interesting. Installed the demo off the PC Zone cover disc but it wasn't activated - guess it's now time to fire it up.

12. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Looks really good actually. If I hadn't already nearly hit my DL cap for this month, I'd get the demo right away :eek:

And from the videos on-site, the multiplayer looks rubbish. The revamp of SimCity is what I'd be playing it for.