1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News City of Heroes gets optional adverts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Apr 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Well-Known Member

If they offered a discount to the subscription for in game billboard adverts I'd be happy as long as everyone was seeing the same advert in the same place at the same time to avoid confusion.

Then again I finished my love affair with CoH ages ago, now I'm just waiting for Champions Online.

3. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

CoH is a game where ads could slip in quite neatly, so I don't see any problems really.

4. Bladestorm

Bladestorm New Member

There have always been billboards around the game with a small number of fake adverts on them, swapping them out for more variable real ones would fit well as long as they were tastefully done (ideally made specially to be in keeping with the style of the CoH world)

5. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules New Member

The Cape Radio internet radio interview last night with Brian Clayton, Matt Miller (lead dev) and Lighthouse(community manager) revealed that almost, if not all, of the revenue from the ads will go straight back into the development bank for CoH. The reason given for this being NCNorCal is doubling it's dev team for City of*.

6. themax

themax New Member

I see no problem because the Ads are optional. They aren't forced on the users at all, and in a game like City of Heroes set in a fictional city in the real world United States, it's not too out of place to have the ads. There are billboards, and posters throughout the entire game so something of a real advert to me in that game isn't bad at all in my eyes. It's not like seeing a Coke Billboard is going to totally kill the immersion. The characters exist in the United States with ties to real world organizations anyway.

7. Mister_X

Mister_X Chaotic Neutral

I have no problem with this approach, its all pretty unobtrusive and giving you the opt out is a nice gesture to the community.

Tags: Add Tags