1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Civilization V Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Sep 2010.

1. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Already Pre-Loaded on steam...

For those complaining that it's not good... You may revert to a stone age state, when I nuke your country into submission (France...)

2. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

Civ2 was the last real Civ for me. Played 3 and 4 but never worth the money. 5th looks like more of the same...

3. Seeks

Seeks Minimodder

Seems that you either love it or hate it :p. I understand that RTS games arnt for everyone but I love Civ as it was the first real game I played back in the dos days.

If you are unsure download the demo of steam and see. I pre-ordered it to save money as I knew I would end up buying it anyway :( I did watch the reviews and gameplay on youtube though.

4. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Civilization is not RTS.

5. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

Does the computer still cheat in Civ V? I know it did in Civ II but haven't really played a Civ since then.

6. chopstyx

chopstyx What's a Dremel?

Played it last night, I have to say, as a fairly hard-core player of Civ IV - I was underwhelmed. Still, it's early days and I expect once the patches & mods start coming out it'll be just as addictive as previous Civs.

P.S. I'm in the UK too - if you change your region settings in Steam & use a US proxy it will become activated and you can play immediately.

7. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Since when has Civ been an RTS?

It's a turn based strategy, almost in a sub-category of it's own (along with most other Sid Meier-inspired games) - to compare to any other game does neither game any favours.

I've pre-ordered - I hope it arrives on time. Really looking forward to it.

8. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I presume you've realised the whole Campaign part of Total War is a straight homage to Civilization?

Answer me this: by the end of one of the latter Total War games, how long do you spend fighting battles and how long do you spend on the Campaign map? Now imagine the Campaign map a dozen times more detailed and interesting, you'd probably never bother with a real-time battle again.

And that is Civilization.

9. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    2/3 battles, 1/3 map

10. Seeks

Seeks Minimodder

I played the demo and I can understand, it does not feel amazing. I think they have tried to make it easier for new people to get into so all the advanced stuff is harder to get to. There were quite a few things that I just had no idea where they were which I had done previously. But I liked it so far... the turns when by too fast

11. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I remember playing the original civ way back when, but not played any others since, ordered the normal version of this though on steam, not bothering with the deluxe after Mafia 2.

12. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

I don't see why people ever both with the "deluxe" or "collectors" editions when they're clearly told exactly what tiny bit of extras they're getting for the added money.

13. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I make a point of never auto-resolving a battle in Total War, as it removes half of the strategy and fun. To be honest I struggle to see where more features could be added to the campaign map too, at least for a game that doesn't have the 3D combat system. Personally I'm hoping total war goes in a direction that allows customisation of settlements if the player chooses to untick an "auto-place buildings" button, and eventually fully real-time game mechanics. The turn based system is a bit archaic and should be replaced with something akin to Sins of a Solar Empire; RTS on such a huge scale that the player has plenty of time to strategise, just as in a turn-based game. Of course, we're probably a way off having hardware capable of running the sort of game I have in mind...

I've gone off the point a little, but essentially real-time battles are the reason I play Total War games (I used to watch Time Commanders when it was on TV :D)

14. Houndofhell

Houndofhell One Particle to Rule Them All

Pre-ordered and pre-load with Steam for £30 i can't bleeding wait only a couple of hours to go

15. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

I really want this game, but I just need to know, does it require you to be online for play, like the crappy DRM on Assassins Creed 2? As I think I read somewhere that it did? If so then I'll have to skip this one on principal.

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Steam.

17. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Sweet, this will be bought from Amazon if it is still on offer at pay day.

18. Toka

Toka Minimodder

sigh.....

not been to bed yet.....

19. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Tried the demo, thank god it ended just as I were getting into it, now I actually don't feel awfully tempted at buying it.

20. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I'm enjoying the game, but it's not really Civilization. It's a decent game in it's own right, but the emphasis and fell have changed a bit too much for it to be considered an advancement of the same game.

Tags: Add Tags