1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clan[42]project<CONTESTS WON!! :D >

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Vazzini42, 11 May 2004.

1. Vazzini42

Vazzini42 What's a Dremel?

http://www.mnpctech.com/UChannel.html

Cheapest place I have been able to find it was here :D

$2.98 for 6 feet aint bad at all, most other places it has been closer to $1 a foot.

I also ordered my aluminum fan grills from here (best price on these also)

Hope that helps :thumb:

Well the weather has been pretty bad for painting for the last week or two, so I haven't got much in the way of updates but, I have been planning and planning and planning. Damn you mother nature!!! [shakes fist]

Vazz

Last edited: 8 Jun 2004
  2. bootupbuddha

bootupbuddha grunge modder

Thanks Vazz.....

Last edited: 9 Jun 2004
  3. chrono

chrono What's a Dremel?

ok how about getting a ramp
    and good work so far i saw some guys who tried to make sometin like this out of a washer and didnt quite work. looks promising though
    where the hell did u get one of those

4. Vazzini42

well the lock mechanism on it was busted so they gave it to my school newspaper, they didnt want to use it, so i took it off their hands.

It is cheaper for them to buy new boxes with new ads on them than it is to pay someone to fix them when they break or get vandalized.

Vazz

Last edited: 21 Jun 2004
  5. Vazzini42

Yes im still here, and no I haven't given up on this beast :D

I have been trying to finish up my paint job on some parts so I can get to work on other things.

I have also done a good deal of work on my diamond plate metal

started with this:
    [​IMG]

I cut out a hole for the window and gave it an old industrial feel to it by using 600grit sandpaper on my hand sander then running the pieces through the dishwasher LOL

here they are with the edge molding in place:

this is the piece for the front window to see the mobo through...
    [​IMG]

this is a pic of the side window (i have two of these which are identical)
    [​IMG]

by sanding them down they have a cool look to them that doesn't show minor scratches or fingerprints as easily.

The Lucite will be glued onto the back with Goop after I see about getting the windows etched. (working on that currently) I am glueing them on so that there isn't a bunch of screws visible on the outside and so i dont have to drill tons of holes in the Lucite.

These panels will be screwed on to the main box using black thumbscrews for the front and black fan screws for the sides. They will be easily removable for when I need to do work inside the box. I chose not to use thumbscrews on the side windows because they will stick out and catch on things and are likely to get busted off during transit and normal use.

For the main box I purchased some of this..

[​IMG]

it is "ultra hard enamel" it is supposed to be used for painting appliances to give them that same coating you get from the factory. Supposedly resists scratches and scuffs. I will be painting the interior of the main box with this and hopefully it will come out nice I will let you guys know.

Vazz

6. R@Mo

R@Mo What's a Dremel?

Where did you buy that diamond plate from? I've been looking all over for that stuff. Is it flexible and/or easy to cut with a dremel? Looks great so far!! :hip:

7. Vazzini42

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=78&step=2

cheap materials shipping is a little pricey but good quality stuff

their site is a little quirky and some of the metal I recieved had stickers and some marker writing on it (easily removed with GooGone)

After cutting a bunch of this metal (the 0.0625 thickness) I would suggest using a jigsaw to cut it if you can get your hands on one. The thicker (diamond) parts would tear up my dremel bits and i went through many many bits on these pieces.

The aluminum face got scratched quite easily and it is very hard to keep that mirror finish on it and is even harder to get a nice clear coat on it, as a result of the "diamond" parts.

As for flexible, no not really and I am using the thinnest available from them. There is a little bit of flex to the metal if you try to bend it, but without a good metal sheet bender (unsure on the name for this tool) you will not get a good looking bend as a result of the thicker pieces.

Hope that helps ya out bud :D

I have painted the inside of the main box with that Appliance enamel and it looks really good. The stuff doesn' go on the same as normal spraypaint, you have to lay it on in a few quick thin layers before it dries. It likes to go on thick but it looks quite nice. I will get some pics up tomorrow.

Vazz

Last edited: 22 Jun 2004
  8. bootupbuddha

bootupbuddha grunge modder

this is the piece for the front window to see the mobo through...
    [​IMG]

I really like the look of your side window. Very industrial... You mentioned gluing it. have you given thought to using rivets or bolts? or do those ridges get in the way? Either way I am sure that your way will look great.

9. coil

coil What's a Dremel?

He said he didn't want to have to worry about drilling the lucite; however, I agree that rivets would compliment the diamond plate really well. Well, your call man, looks sweet so far. :)

10. Vazzini42

bootupbuddha
    actually that is the front window lol i know its kinda hard to see how everything is gonna come together.

I wanted to avoid drilling holes into the plexi and i also am trying to keep it a little cleaner. If the glue doen't work the way I want it too I will probably use black fan screws to hold it on.

Vazz

11. R@Mo

R@Mo What's a Dremel?

Thanks for answering all my questions. :D Keep up the great work! :clap:

12. Vazzini42

Well I have been slowly chugging along on this project. (Damn rain)<shakes fist>

Currently I'm working on the 3rd clearcoat on some of the parts. I have painted the interior with that Appliance Enamel and it came out awesome with only one coat (goes on pretty thick, but doesn't run as much as regular paint) Sorry, no pics of that part as of yet, but I highly suggest that paint for anyone interested.

Now, onto the fun part...... pics !! :clap:

I got these in the mail yesterday.......

[​IMG]

they are 6 inch pneumatic inflatable tires.

I felt they needed more support because the way I was mounting them would only let me hold them on with 2 bolts. To solve this, I bought some 1 inch square aluminum tubing to support them better and make it more durable for stairs and lots of use.

<blah blah blah get on with it> MORE PICS !!!!!!! :clap:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm quite happy with how they turned out, they give it more of an industrial (kick granny in the teeth) kinda feel. This is the bottom section of the box that originally held a big block of concrete to weigh it down. It bolts under the bottom of the main box and (with the wheels added) helps provide a good heavy base to the box.

As always, comments, suggestions, critiques, and money always accepted.

Vazz

13. Sanf0rd42

Sanf0rd42 What's a Dremel?

yeah, the base is probably 10 pounds with the weels and metal, so that along with the UPS should give enough "bottom weight" so we don't have to worry about it tipping over when moving, since the thing is so tall.

14. Requ13m42

Requ13m42 What's a Dremel?

Don't know why you had problems with the confirmation email, Sanford, I got mine in about 2 minutes. :clap:

I'm a member of Clan[42], but so far, my entire contribution to this project has been to admire pictures of it while drinking beer. Some might say that I'm utilizing my biggest talents in this area, and I might be inclined to agree.

Looks good so far. :thumb:

Last edited: 17 Jul 2004
  15. Goblin Tinkerer

Goblin Tinkerer What's a Dremel?

Hahahhaha this is great!! Friggin awsome idea! Keep the headlines rolling!

16. Sanf0rd42

Sanf0rd42 What's a Dremel?

yeah, we fell WAY behind schedule with all the rain we've had here over the last few weeks. Once we can get all the painting and everything done, it'll FINALLY be moved inside and then it'll pick back up in the "productivity" depatment.

August 12 is our deadline we're trying to meet! gotta have it ready by Quakecon!!!

17. Vazzini42

just to giva you guys an idea of where the clearcoat is now I have this pic...

[​IMG]

Its not quite there yet but another coat or two + polish + wax should make it pretty nice...

just a small update but fun anyway

Vazz

18. Vazzini42

Not art without a signature...

Well i got my hands on some Rub-On lettering from the local hobby shop...

I decided I needed to sign this box and add a few more bits of writing on the case to add some details and break up the brightness of the yellow..

PICS !!!!! :clap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These letters went on real fast and were real easy to do. I plan on doing quite a few more details on the box with them. After rubbing them on I hit them with a good clearcoat.

Let me know what you guys think :D

Vazz

19. Vazzini42

hmm i wonder what's going here...

[​IMG]

20. ZeroX

ZeroX What's a Dremel?

realy cool!!

me want more, me want more NOW!! :clap: