1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clan[42]project<CONTESTS WON!! :D >

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Vazzini42, 11 May 2004.

1. Vazzini42

Vazzini42 What's a Dremel?

Well here are my purchases for the last 2 days...

[​IMG]

this is self adhesive felt strips that I will use for the door to soften the close mechanism

[​IMG]

A 4 inch diameter hole saw for cutting 120 mm holes

[​IMG]

bicycle pegs that are going to be used for handles to steer this big box around

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and this thing is SO big i needed a new car just to haul it around :naughty:
    my old car was going on 10 years old and was a real P.O.S. , I have been trying to get a new car since New Years.

<2004 Hyundai Elantra GT hatchback 100 miles on it Leather, SPort brakes/suspension, Kenwood CD 6 speaker system in it, getting the windows tinted tomorrow>

CYa
    Vazz

Last edited: 21 Jul 2004
  2. Vazzini42

Well, 13 days left to finish this big box up before its first contest. So I have been chugging along at full speed. I have cut all the fan holes on the body along with the mounting holes. They are large mounting holes to use grommets and the fans are all 120mms.... blah blah blah

PICS !

this is the top with the fan holes ready for some more yellow paint...

[​IMG]

this pic is just to give you an idea how big this is.... (my roomate who is 6'2")

[​IMG]

I have also just recieved my power supply and I am currently sleeving it I should have it done tomorrow. More updates to come.

Vazz

3. Vazzini42

Well here is the power supply all sleeved up and tested ready for action...

[​IMG]

it is an Antec true 430 watt, I have gone and removed all the extra connections that I will not be using. I am still waiting on my plexiglass cover for it to arrive (more on that later)

I have also gotten my HD in. It is a Western Digital 200G HD with 8meg buffer..

Due to my budget being extremely limited at this point, I have decided to just use the one HD for the time being until I can afford to buy a few more (hopefully christmas time)

Well off to do some paint work :sigh:

Vazz

4. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Minimodder

I assume you cut off the 4-pin 12v connector (not molex) and the auxillary power connector. How did you close off the ends of those unwanted connections (and where did they go)? Or did you remove them completely? :confused:

I want to get rid of the 4-pin 12v connector and the auxillary power connector from my Antec TrueBlue before I sleave its cables. So, one there's less to sleave and, two no useless PSU cables filling up my case. Any tips on how to do this would be welcome Vazz! :dremel:

5. Vazzini42

I cut off the extra SATA plugs and a few others that I didn't need inside of the box itself. I opened it up (good bye warranty) tracked each of the extra wires back in and snipped them off as close as I could get them to the circuit board. After snipped I just gave the ends a little bit of black electrical tape to make sure nothing could come in contact with a live wire. Simple and a little messy but it works well for cleaning it all up.

6. Vazzini42

I have gotten the windows 99.9% finished for the two sides here is how they look currently.. :rock:

the outside part...
    [​IMG]

the inside part...
    [​IMG]

they are 1/8" acrylic glued onto the back of diamond plate metal that I have treated with a personal finish. I used black window edge molding to frame border of the window and used Goop to hold them into place. (god that crap smells but works great)

<edit> I also added strips of felt on the back to avoid scratches and help kill noise. (self adhesive felt strips for doors and furniture)

back to work.... :sigh:

more to come later

as always any comments, questions, suggestions and money always accepted :D

Last edited: 30 Jul 2004
  7. Cecil-San

Cecil-San What's a Dremel?

Looking nice!

Question tho...why did you paint 1st? Before work was done..?
    Only seems to be more work after painting...then drilling holes..etc. etc.
    just to have to paint again if it chips off...
    Not complaining..just a question...

Looking good tho man...your entire clan local? Will you keep this as a dedicated server? or just a LAN type server?

GL on the contest when it arrives...let us know the results..(see if you can snap some shots of the competition as well...just to let us know whats going on w/ non log posters..=] )

8. Vazzini42

Yeah i kinda set the horse before the cart by painting it yellow first. However on the main box part that was only one coat of yellow with primer just to get an idea of how eye burning the yellow would be. That way, If it was too strong I could tone it down a bit. (which I have done a bit)

It is making its first public appearance at Quakecon

here is a linky..
    http://www.quakecon.org/about.php

just hope I can get it done in time..

I also hope Zapwizard doesn't mop the floor with me in the mod contests
    (if your there this year Zap stop by and say hello :D i'll be kinda hard to miss with this big yellow beast)

Vazz

9. Cecil-San

Cecil-San What's a Dremel?

Naw...I like the yellow thus far...was just looking at the fan hole pics and noticed the spots....hence..my questions... :D

Ahh..QuakeCon...wish I could go to the BYOC but...I'm #406 on the list...<sigh>...I was hoping to bring Little Boy.....(even tho I'm waaayyy behind my schedule)

Again, GL meeting your deadline...

10. Vazzini42

hey man you could wait in the first come first serve line and you will most likely get in easily. (pretty sure they have never turned anyone away especially with a kickass mod)

or you could volunteer and show up wednesday and you WILL get in first.

11. Vazzini42

this is the front metal plate for the main LCD screen

[​IMG]

I took apart the screen and mounted the front cover directly to the diamond plate and used Goop to glue it.

Vazzini

12. toyomatt84

toyomatt84 What's a Dremel?

It's almost time for the Party to begin. :D :rock:

13. Sanf0rd42

Sanf0rd42 What's a Dremel?

If we can get the bandwidth, we'll have it runnin as a dedicated server online, but until then, it's primarily going to be a LAN box.

Of course, once the 'box' itself is built, the computer inside of it can be upgraded easily. I know there will be more hard drives put in, things of that nature.

But, now it's time to plug in the 'guts' while Vaz is still workin on the outside to get an OS installed

14. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

I will be there, but not in the mod contest (At least if AMD is running it)
    I will be sure to say hi, but I am bad at names.

15. nicke

nicke What's a Dremel?

beatyful :hip:

16. danmagicman7

danmagicman7 What's a Dremel?

Where is this mod contest ?!?

17. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

only beef i have with it is the LCD i think you shoudl have put the black behind the metal and just "extended" the buttons i think it would have looked so much better in my opinion, other than that good work, i like it

18. Vazzini42

I was originally thinking that, however due to time constraints and how the LCD is put together i decided on this way. I may go back and see how it looks without the front bezel later on down the road.

The LCD would have required 4-6 bolts coming through the metal on the sides to be held in the way you are describing and I wanted the metal to be cleaner. Let me see how this looks all put together and go from there.

Thanks for the input though :thumb:

Danmajicman7: The mod contest is at Quackecon2004 located in Grapevine, Texas August 12-16

<edit> the guts of the LCD will be exposed in the back and visible through the side windows. That way the front has a clean built in look and the inside looks all shiny and modded.

Vazz

Last edited: 4 Aug 2004
  19. Sanf0rd42

Sanf0rd42 What's a Dremel?

actually, i haven't heard anything about an OFFICIAL casemod competition there. granted, there's been one pretty much every year, but we're just a matter of a few days away now and I still haven't seen anything on the QC site about it yet.

20. fg0d

fg0d Banned

im really liking this project, good luck with it :) it should be one helluva project.