1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44638, 29 Oct 2019.

1. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jun 2020
  2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Interesting to see if the benefit of the bump in RAM speed would be worthwhile financially. Usually, I'd say no, but Ryzen is a case where faster RAM benefits the whole system.
    You may be lucky with a bump in voltage on decent 3200 RAM to get it running at 3466.

From what I understand, faster RAM with tighter timing (smaller numbers in the string of digits....) is the best for Ryzen.
    i.e. DDR4 3600 16 etc. is preferable to DDR4 3600 18 etc. other than for your wallet

Otherwise, don't worry and get on running it, small perceived benefits are probably not worth worrying about missing out on or spending out for.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I'd probably stick with what you have...

...and if you have to ask, unless the timings are spectacularly terrible, you'll likely never notice.

It might get you some extra numbers on a benchmark, but for most things... nah...

Arboreal likes this.
  4. jsbombjack

jsbombjack Minimodder

There were a few videos from jayztwocents on this recently on the YouTube. He seemed to think 3200 was the sweet spot. Not much difference above that. Could be wrong, but I'm sure you'll be fine

Bloody_Pete and Arboreal like this.
  5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Try clocking your RAM, failing that, stick with what you have. As already stated - the returns are slight, and not worth the outlay.

Arboreal and Guest-44638 like this.
  6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

With Ryzen the performance seems to come from tightening up the timings but it is always worth seeing what you can get out of your RAM, my cheapo 3200 CL16 RAM will run 3400 CL14 with a minor voltage bump on my 2400G which helps greatly with integrated GPU but on my 1900x my rather expensive 3600CL16 won't even do more than 3333Mhz, so it will all come down to how good the memory controller is, obviously both my chips are Ryzen Gen 1 cores so memory controllers are a lot weaker than the new stuff, it is amusing that the 2400G has a stronger CPU than my threadripper for some games due to tighter memory timings.

Anything over 3200 is considered overclocking anyway on 3rd gen so there will be an element of luck to what it will be able to do.

Using Ryzen DRAM calculator can give you some starting points for RAM timings and tuning, there is definitely a benefit but the stability testing side of things takes a long time and unless you enjoy it just stick with XMP timings and just know you will be missing a couple of percents, no biggy really.

Last edited: 30 Oct 2019
  7. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

You can try overlocking your memory, see if you get any noticeable improvements, if you do wahey free performance if you don't then nothing lost.

8. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

I got slightly better performance with low CAS 3200 RAM than with uber cheap 3600 CAS 19. I'd say just keep the RAM you've got.

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

After a week of nightmare with my memory I'd say leave well alone. You'll never seen any real benefit at the faster speed. All you'll likely do is bugger something up and cause yourself anguish.

10. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I have noticed an improvement going from slow to faster memory. I have used this guide:

To help with using the Ryzen DRAM calculator and Thaiphoon Burner to overclock my RAM a little (only the timings, not the actual speed). You may not get much more out of your RAM although but who knows

sandys likes this.
  11. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Are you involved in competitive benchmarking? If not, then you will waste many pounds for absolutely no perceivable benefit :happy:

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

13. Vault-Tec

Take it from a fellow over-thinker - leave well enough alone. Chasing tiny gains is expensive and will cause you tons of stress and BS.

14. Vault-Tec

It's probably the GPU. Now that I've fixed my Vega 64 with a BIOS flash it's clocking to 1677mhz. However its also hitting 73c. This is normal apparently, however yeah air GPUs suck.

I'd stick with the water plan. It's quieter and offers better performance.

15. GeorgeK

Download HWInfo64 and leave it running while you game. It will show you max and average temperatures for CPU and GPU (and a million other sensors) which should give you an idea of what's kicking out the majority of the heat. Almost certainly GPU though unless it's under water.

16. GeorgeK

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_5_3600_review,7.html

Here for the 3600 they're getting 72 degrees with the stock cooler so yours is an improvement on that. The Pure Rock isn't the best cooler in the world but isn't the worst either.

That temperature seems normal for the Sapphire Pulse also.

As V_T said, nowadays GPUs tend to kick out more heat than CPUs and the only real way to get temps much lower is using water. I have a 1080ti Hybrid card from EVGA and it maxes out at 50ºC whereas most air cooled 1080ti cards are 15-30º hotter (and noisier) - I have the fans set to be pretty quiet too. I'm sure it'd be even lower if I had a more aggressive fan curve set.