1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Class 1 & 4 - National Insurance Contributions

Discussion in 'General' started by DeadP1xels, 11 Sep 2022.

1. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

This is annoying me much more than it really should... mainly because I can't seem to find confirmation of it anywhere online.

I'm employed very close to earning over the upper limit of Class 1 NI where you'd start paying the lower 3.25% on income above this threshold.

I'm also self employed (sole trader) and this year I'm going to be liable for Class 2 and Class 4 contributions.

Class 4 talks about "profits" rather than income so feels like a separate thing. but when putting the figures into https://www.employedandselfemployed.co.uk/tax-calculator it didn't look right and a quick bit of maths suggested I'd actually be paying the lower rate Class 4 of 3.25% on part of that income...

Therefore... am I correct in saying because my employment income + self employed income exceeds the upper limit... I'd pay the lower rate class 4 as self employed income increases...

Or is this calculator just wrong and I'd pay 13.25% on Class 1 and would pay 10.25% Class 4 until I'm separately earning over £50,270 self employed?

2. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

Ring the tax office.

adidan likes this.
  3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

To be fair I'd suggest the same.

Whenever I or the OH have called they have been really helpful and really are the only ones who can give you a definite answer geared towards your specific case