So; today I had a plan. I was going to get the engine out of its crate, clean it, split it, check it, then lay out all the bits and bobs I've got on the floor and work out what I still neeed to buy. I started off getting everything off the shelves, and the engine out of it's box. Then, removed some junk from the engine - alternator, starter etc. Then gave the engine a clean (a bit half-arsed tbh). Then I started taking the engine apart, I was only going to whip the head off to check everything was tickety-boo, but I was pretty confident that it was as it turned over pretty freely from the crank. Whipped the head off, and found... And the head looks manky too.. So, now I need to work out what the new plan is. A bit of a set back!