1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PlayStation 4 Cleaning inside PS4

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jake123456, 11 Jan 2018.

1. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Hey guys,

My PS4 is sounding like a rocket which is about to take off, I've already opened it up and dusted it which has done absolutely eff all.

I need to get some compressed air, but I am really dubious about which one to buy. Can I just use a bog standard one or will I need to shop around for it?

2. MLyons

MLyons Half dev, Half doge. Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Does the PS4 not have a way to temporarily ramp up the fans to full speed to get dust out like the PS3 had?

3. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

This is the first generation of PS4s, I've had it for some time and not switched it on.

Does it do that automatically?

4. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

Unfortunately no.

5. jinq-sea

jinq-sea The Double Insulates Super Moderator

I just buy the 5* air duster from Amazon. Works for me!

6. MLyons

It seems they removed the feature, Yh just go can of air then with the top part of the shell off. Just remember to blow it in the input not output.

Last edited: 12 Jan 2018
  7. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Nice one, thank you for the help guys. Going to look for a can on my lunch :)

8. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Morse Monkey

The best thing you can do to prevent that is to replace the TIM on the APU. If you've got an original PS4, you're already out of warranty and the chances are the TIM was a dry as a witches nipple about 6 months after you first plugged it in anyway.

It's really not hard to strip a PS4 down but there's plenty of step-by-steps on youtube. Get some decent paste and quieten it down once and for all. Mine's whisper quiet since I changed it.

9. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Well-Known Member

I stopped using canned air when, in an "emergency", I used a footpump for an inflatable bed. I 3D printed a long, thin nozzle and it now provides more air pressure than any canned air I've used. If you don't mind feeling a bit silly, it's cheap and it works well.

And here's the teardown so you know what to expect - https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+4+Teardown/19493

10. MLyons

I use the electric pump from an inflatable bed. Seems to do the job pretty well.

11. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Morse Monkey

You could also ask the missus how her day went and then put the console in front of her mouth. There's a good half hour of hot air produced there.

12. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Morse Monkey

In all seriousness, the only way to change the status quo is to replace the thermal paste. Dust will contribute to fan noise, sure but the main cause of high heat output is the degradation of the already poor quality thermal paste that the Gen.1 units came with.