1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Clippy to go psychic in Office 12

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 14 Sep 2005.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I wouldn't even pirate that. I'd be fine with Word 95.

3. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

Still use Office 2000 at work and at home, and I didn't even buy that it came with my pc. It does everything I need and my work shows no sign of upgrading either.

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Sounds like a load of unneccessary bloatware to me. Better off with Office Xp... smaller, leaner, and does everything you need.

5. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

That wiry little gimp gets on my nerves at the best of times. How offensive is it to think that most M$ users can be outsmarted by a paperclip.

6. allforcarrie

allforcarrie Banned

open office works great for my needs.

7. JonDixon

JonDixon Decking is the new modding

I think this is MS trying to tell people how to use their products rather than listening to what users want to do with their products.

Clippy sucks @ss and so does that whinny little puppy in explorer. All of these bloatware, typical we think you've got the brains of Britneys boyfriend 'helps' which do nothing but mean you need a bigger, better, faster machine to still be able to write a letter which probably says

'Dear Bank Manager,

Sorry my account is overdrawn again, but I needed to spend £1000 buying a new PC so I could run Office so I could write this letter to you.'

Basically Im annoyed, as all I want to do is write reports, create spreadsheets without being interrupted by little icons making inane suggestions, so <add diety of your choice> no, am I going to upgrade to now have menu choices mystically change on me!

8. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

I thought MS learnt from those annoying, "let's hide all the menu items in case they get scared", dynamic menu things that people hate it when a program tries to be clever. Consistency is one of the important usability principles. They only need watch people using the software to find that out.

Still none of us have seen what they come up with this time so it's a bit premature to be bashing them already for it.

9. Skutbag

Skutbag What's a Dremel?

Did someone say saving each individual keystroke? Gee, can't see anyone would break into THAT file and steal all your details!

Maybe one day someone will design software that can predict what you're going to do AND be as transparent as possible. Maybe some kind of multi layered desktop where you have all the obvious options to start with and gradually go through to less popular functions. But considering I can fit just about everything I need on to my desktop as shortcuts at the moment....whats the point?

I suppose it will help non-technical users learn how to use their machines faster, and lets be honest, they're the targets of this kind of thing, not people who know what they're doing. Like us! :D

10. Guest-6374

Guest-6374 Guest

I'm getting a psychic prediction of my own. It involves spending millions of dollars on a feature that NOBODY WANTS!

I'm with Skutbag, this is a good technique but they're executing it backwards. Instead of building a menu with common tasks, they need to build a menu with all tasks and then remove the ones that aren't used often. This is what the current Start menu does (badly), and if they improve the logic that determines what gets hidden when, it could be really useful.

Also, if EULAs include something about keystroke-logging, I'm gonna start reading them VERY carefully.

11. veland

veland What's a Dremel?

Predictive help CAN be a good thing. As long as it can correctly detect/predict that I don't WANT any help also..

But where I work, we have users of all types. From skilled professionals to individuals who remember how great the first typewriters were, type with one finger and can spend half a day figuring out how to change the font.

What I dream of then, is a Skill-O-Meter!

Never used a pc before? That's fine, the software helps you every step of the way, has a lot of interactive help and stuff like that.

No professional but have used office before? Fine, no annoying help on standard tasks, but a "Have you done this before?" question when you try to do anything exotic..

Office expert? Ok, you're on your own, but if you still need help, just ask!

Another thing, conserning pricing: How about function based pricing? A standard office package is almost free, but individual functions must be bought. Want to track changes, merge files, do scripting? Fine, but that's an additional cost. Could work...

12. stephen2002

stephen2002 What's a Dremel?

I like your idea! I personally despised all of the auto-hiding menu condensing functionality in Office XP. So more of that makes me scared. Personally, I would still be using Office 97 if I didn't get Office XP for $20 from my school; it just dosn't do anything that is compelling. I use Office 2003 at work, and everything I do there I don't have any problem doing at home on XP.

At the very least this is going to be interesting. At some point they do kinda need to just wipe the slate clean and start something different.

13. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

veland,

the pricing model is a great idea, but I will say it would be very hard to implement. Office is really a hell of a suite for the cost, and to break its myriad of features down into small chunks would not only take forever and cost a lot to do, but probably confuse and frustrate the end user, who has to constantly pay to upgrade to a new "feature pack."

14. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

tbh office 2003 is one of the only MS software packages i actually like although this predictive crap is definately a step in the wrong direction, i know what i want to type and tbh i think i can type quicker than having to read the suggestion and either accept or dismiss it... same with the menu stuff - if i want to use something i know where to go to do it, if it's going to keep changing my menu options based it what it thinks i need, it's going to take me 30mins to try and figure out where the option i want has moved to!!

15. gpw111

gpw111 What's a Dremel?

i agree that manipulating menus (if this is how they implement the psychic fearures) is a bad idea. but if there are only a few main menu orders then im sure it wont take long to get to know each menu order and be able to use it just as quickly.

i think there could be some advantages, as common tasks for the things which you're doing could be brought to the foreground, as it were - maybe speeding up working (to give you more time to post in the bit tech forums)

16. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Clippy gan go to hell. Not once has any MS "helper" actually been helpful for me. As a competant (actually more than competant but that's irrelivant) user of Office products, no constant help is needed. If there is something that I can't do (maybe some exotic function in Exel) then I use the help index - even the clippy help is usless. As it is I turn off all helpers and run "classic" menus in XP.

Constantly changing things will just infuriate me even more. I for one won't be handing over my hard earned dollarbucks for an upgrade.

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Oh, great, more patronising by a badly drawn cartoon... :rolleyes: I have Clippy (actually Mother Earth --at least the chimes sound nice) permanently turned off. I do not need help in typing a letter, I went to school. I do not need hints and tips: I read the manual (and I know where to find Help if I need it). I find having to go over to a text balloon in the corner of the screen to verify every sodding action more irritating than sand in my butt.

Basically, MS could save itself immense efforts and bloatware by having all those complex heuristics replaced by just one single behaviour/text balloon by Clippy:
    - Every time you move the mouse or type a key it pops up and asks: "Would you like me to bollocks that up for you?";
    - Clicking "Yes" would result in some random change to the document.
    - Clicking "No" would result in some random change to the document.
    Same end result.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2005
  18. Migishu

Migishu What's a Dremel?

And that's any diffrent from what it does now... how?

QFT

Tags: Add Tags