1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning CNC Kit

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Nanosec, 4 Jan 2010.

1. Nanosec

Nanosec absit iniuria verbis

Okay folks, there have been a few threads here and there about building your own CNC setup. Like several others, I don't know if I have the time/patience/skill to part out and build my own CNC setup. I have read a few instructables and what not on how to build a DIY mini mill and came across this ready to assemble kit:

http://www.probotix.com/FireBall_v90_cnc_router_kit/

Anyone here have any knowledge or feedback on this setup, or can you provide a link to something similar? (must be able to ship to the US at a reasonable rate)

Not ready to take the plunge yet, definately still in the research/planning stage, and any help would be appreciated.

2. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

The sixteenth step resolution is ridiculous. The full step resolution of 0.002" sounds more realistic. You can't expect too much with skateboard bearings. Having said that, the router looks reasonably priced.

3. Nanosec

One thing of note, this kit does NOT include the rotary tool, or the actual computer to run the software. Both of those, however, are readily available to me already.

4. Shadow703793

Shadow703793 What's a Dremel?

It looks pretty good for wood/plastics work, but what about metal work?

5. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

"No motors, electronics, spindle or software is included. "

Right, so $600 seems a bit steep for some ballscrews!

Question: what will you be milling?

6. Nanosec

My initial plans are to use this, or something similar, for small scale engraving projects and cutting some plastics....eventually working up the skills to make different pieces/parts for mods

7. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Here's my recommendation. It's built on a budget of $600 (including $250 for motors & controller), but as mentioned before skate bearings are a bit "ooh-err-missus". So maybe you'd want to spend a bit more on proper bearings and some ballscrews instead of threaded rod/timing belts.

Still, if you're after hugely precise resolutions, you'd probably be better off converting a manual mill to CNC, rather than making one from scratch.

8. Nanosec

I went ahead and 'added it to my cart' just to see what the shipping etc would come out to. With it set up ready to run the cost was ridiculous given the limitations involved.

9. Nanosec

10. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

11. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Or Solsylva. It's easy to make, designed around hardware store parts. It may not be super accurate, but you can use the machine to upgrade itself as and when you need.

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

In case you missed the last cnc thread. <--That was a good one. If I remember right, Sleepstreamer posted a link to his cnc supplier too. A table-type rig would work best for panels, etc.
    The Sherline is nearly useless because of it's small size, and way overpriced.

13. Nanosec

Cheaps, this is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for, THANKS

I am still investigating the various links posted, thank you all for the info

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I would have bought a 2'X2' table unit if I had the space. It's perfect for panels.

15. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

i've heard that those cnc are good, and not too expensive (sure not 600£ but those stuffs aren't cheap) http://www.cnc-step.com/
    Franklin here on bit-tech has one, i think

and also www.team-haase.de (german site,sorry) also seem very good. their cheapest cnc is 2000€ with electronic and software, but no spindle. i'm going to get one of those when i have the money :)

16. Nanosec

Well, after looking at all the feedback from the folks that provided some, I went ahead and ordered the plans from the Solsylva website. Looks like I will be setting up a 25 X 25 X 6 table.

Plan is to cut plastic and wood with it, and when it comes time to cut metal I will just use the table to engrave out my pattern onto the metal, cutting it later with a dremel / scroll saw.

the Kit seems easy enough to put together, and If I manage to remember, I will snap some photo's and make up a pseudo work log of it.

Thanks again for all the input / feedback

17. nlancaster

nlancaster Minimodder

CNCZone.com is the place for help, and info for building your own CNC Machine.

Like I have been:

26x52x9 inch cutting area. 3HP Hitachi Router
    [​IMG]