1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Coffee Lake build?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nightblade628, 4 Oct 2017.

1. nightblade628

nightblade628 Member

I literally just decided to do an update to my existing setup, and want to replace my i5-4670 with a new i7, I know it's still a good chip but it isn't doing everything I need it to anymore for both gaming and encoding, and it's time for an upgrade.

I noticed they're due to release the new 8-series chips tomorrow, but because my last build was about 4 years ago I don't know what's really changed since then, and none of the retail sites have anything listed yet before the release. Nor will they disclose any information whatsoever when I asked.

I'm looking to get the new i7-8700K, with a new motherboard and RAM. It'll simply replace my existing board - I'll keep the current case, hard drives, and GTX 980 for now.. So, questions are:
    • Am I right in saying the board to accompany the CPU would be a Z370? Is there anything to look out for when choosing one?
    • My current 650W Antec PSU is nearly 10 years old now; I've had some small issues which may or may not be PSU related but I'm thinking of replacing it anyway. Any suggestions for which brand and wattage to go for? Would a 650W Corsair do the job? Or should I go higher? I'm not looking to SLi anytime in the near future, it'll just be the i7-8700K and the GTX 980 being the main draws.
    • Is anyone actually looking forward to the new Intel CPUs, or is everyone's focus still on Ryzen? While I'd much rather just stick with Intel at this point, it's really not about squeezing out every frame-per-Pound, am I really an idiot for not choosing Ryzen instead?
    Thanks in advance guys!

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

In terms of platform costs, you'd get a similar amount of multi-threaded performance (or even more) for less with a Ryzen setup - R7 1700 with a B350 board will work out cheaper than a 8700K + Z370 setup.

I would look at benchmarks of the 1600/X too and see where it performs vs similar Haswell chips and make the call on how much performance over that you feel like you really need. You could save yourself a hell of a lot of money, still have a 6c/12t setup AND cover the costs of PSU upgrade + extra's.

And with the news of Zen+ being released Feb/May next year, that's what a lot of people will wait for I reckon.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

If you're 980 is not enough for gaming consider focusing on that. You still need a CPU/MB/Mem upgrade so a 1600X + MB + DDR4 + 1070(Ti) + ~600W Gold/Platinum PSU would be a great upgrade.

I'd definitely concentrate on GPU + PSU first. I can vouch for the Seasonic G-650W. Semi-modular, not too expensive, 80Plus Gold. Not the nicest fixed cables but good qual.

I'd be VERY surprised if Zen+ was here before Q2 next year. Please take WCCFshit "news" with a grain of salt.

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I'd hold off on any "X is the best value" proclamations until benchmarks for Coffee Lake are available. Nudge-nudge-wink-winks from reviewers who have them have been towards the i5-8400 being 'interesting'.

Jimmy6 likes this.