1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Coil Whine?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lilgoth89, 21 Aug 2015.

1. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

Can this affect Motherboards ?

my friends trusty old 775 rig recently had an upgrade to a GTX460 and all seemed to go well, unfortunately when playing games, or browzing youtube ( and sometimes sitting at the desktop ) it emits and ear pircing screech

i figured it was likely to be a case of coil whine from the GPU, fair enough ill just replace the card with a Gtx 560ti that i picked up here on the forums. Unfortunately it still Whines, i replace the PSU, the whining is still present so i wonder if the whining could be something with the Motherboard.

The GPU it had before the Whine started was a ATI 4870. My current thought is that it could be the Motherboard that is emitting the Coil Whine and not the GPU / Psu.

My Current chain of thought is that due to the 460 / 560 pulling more power, its causing coil whine, ive tried overclocking ( and underclocking ) the card to no effect, and my next target is the Q6600 for over / underclocking

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

They can emit the lovely ear piercing whine, yes. All electronics do it to some degree.

You can't remove it unfortunately.

I'd say it is still the GPU that is causing the noise. The only way to determine what is causing it would be to remove the GPU and use onboard if possible. Alternatively you can also put in a super low powered card like a 5450 or something similar.

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

But you CAN minimise it. A decent coating of hot glue (or slightly flexible epoxy, rigid epoxy will eventually shatter from the repeated loading) to secure the offending components to the board will damp out the vibrations.

4. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

I had to 'burn in' my R9 270 and my EVGA 760 SC. Just left a benchmark running on for 4 hours, reduced it quite drastically. Also v-sync seems exacerbate whine.