1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Collectors editions and pre-orders, do you buy them?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by The_Beast, 6 Sep 2011.

1. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Well, what are your thoughts on collectors editions and pre-ordering games?

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I was only severely tempted by Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition. Sadly I didn't take the offer. Otherwise I could have gotten it for 25 GBP off Amazon UK, when people cancelled their preorders.

Other than that I'm staying away from preorders, special editions or not. It's to easy to get burned. Either the game turns out to blow, when it's released or you could have picked it up cheaper without preordering. Once in a while it's the other way around. As in DX:HR. Turns out, that not only does the game not suck, but the Collectors Edition is being sold for about 140 GBP right now, which would have made the 90 GBP price it sold for originally (and by that I mean a week ago) a good investment. :)

3. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I do buy them, now and then. Most recently it was Deus Ex: HR Augmented Edition, but I generally draw the line at stupid things like statues - art books fine, not tat to fill up bookshelves.

The exception to the rule is the Fallout 3, New Vegas and Bioshock 2 collectors editions I have.

As for pre-ordering, I'll generally do it. Been burned with a bad game a few times, and I'm reading the review of Dead Island which I've pre-loaded on Steam with dismay, but generally turns out okay.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I think the only game I've ever pre ordered is BF3!

And collectors editions? Nope.

5. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

I now really only preorder games I know will be good,

the rest I wait to pick up cheap,

currently got Space Marine, Gears of war 3, Skyrim and BattleField 3 preordered.

The rest can just wait

6. TrevDX

TrevDX Ah Who Cares Anyway???

I'm a sucker for good CE's (Fallout 3/NV, Bioshock) but I have noticed that with the exception of big games I'm tending to restrain from pre-ordering until I've seen reviews or friends opinions.

7. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

the only collectors ed i ever was halo reach ltd ed, only got it because i read the books so dr halseys diary was dort of needed to fill in a few blanks, didnt even bother looking at the legendary ed tho, that was just mind boglingly stupid.

i pre order games sometimes, in the past ive pre ordered

footie manager 2009 and 2011
    halo 3
    halo reach

sure theres more but cant quite remember

currently got halo ce anniversary and halo 4 on pre order plus bad company 3 (pc of course)

8. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I got Fallout 3 and Bioshock Collectors eds as they were both the same price as normal retail over here.

I've been sorely tempted to get the Space Marine Collectors ed via the Gamestore, but funds are just a bit too tight at the moment for me.

I pre-order sure-fire things (Supreme Commander, Battlefield 3, Brink), but not too often in all fairness. Yes, i am still a fan of Brink :D

If the CE of something is decent, offers good value and IS NOT RETAILER SPECIFIC, then I will consider it.

9. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I don't need anyone else's opinion to decide whether a game appeals to me or not, so i happily preorder stuff that i know i'm going to want to play ASAP instead of waiting for a sale.

Not really a fan of collectors editions, but i do get them for a select few games.

10. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

When I was pre 16 (read: 4 years ago lol) I used to preorder just about every game I wanted, always collector's editions as well. Now I'm older and have a family I just pick stuff up as and when I have a spare second really.

Surprising how much time family takes up, I haven't played a game on my sig rig for about 6 months :jawdrop: I console myself by putting it on folding duties so the hardware does at least get some use other than the fiancee going on facebook and ebay.

11. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I rarely pre-order games, there's the odd few that I am certain that I'll enjoy and can't wait to get into but for the most I wait until after release.

As for collector's editions, I tend not to buy them unless there's something specific that I could make use of (e.g. the small figures in the Civilization V pack - as someone who collects figures for Warhammer and the like, they made a nice addition to the collection... after some slight modifications).
    Art books I tend to avoid, I can generally see all art online (plus I can print a bigger copy) so there's no point wasting my bookshelf's space with something I'm likely to only look at once. The worst two things that I hate for collector's editions is getting the game's soundtrack and DLC...

12. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I often pre-order but never buy a collectors edition. I just want to play the game and don't need any of the associated crap.

13. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

It depends on the game and what's in the CE. I bought the Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition and I'm more than happy with it, I have the Space Marine CE on preorder (roll on Friday!), I have the Guild Wars Factions and Nightfall CEs, I plan on getting the Guild Wars 2 CE as well.

If the CE contains art books, bonus bits and bobs and soundtrack CDs then I'll consider it but price is also a factor. I have the Space Marine CE preordered at £55 but there's no way I would have paid £80 for it, too much. Skyrim CE will be given a miss as I'm not made of money, much as I'd like to have it (£130?! You're having a *!@&ing giraffe!)

Pre orders depend on the game. Space Marine, Rage, Skyrim, Batman Arkham City, Guild Wars 2, Rage, Forza 4, Alines: Colonial Marines and 40K Dark Millennium Online at the moment. A couple might be added or removed, depends on funds.

14. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Not usually. Only pre-orders I've done were batman arkham asylum, and now battlefield 3.

15. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Red Orchestra 2 is the only game i've ever pre ordered, and that is because it was 20% off for owners of original game.

What I don't get are super deluxe digital download editions of games, a PDF of artwork and development history is not added value or collectable.

edit: I also have a limited edition of Sudden Strike. It came with a big strategy guide and a T-Shirt, I didn't set out to buy it, it was just all the shop had in stock and it was going cheap.

16. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Sudden Strike was, is and always will be insanely hard, but awesome in equal measure.

17. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I will only preorder a game I am positive I will enjoy like Mass Effect, The Witcher, Deus Ex ect.. Anything else can wait until the price has dropped to £20 or below.

And I do occasionally get the CE edition if I agree with the contents and the price.

18. pingu666

pingu666 What's a Dremel?

depends on whats in the CE or other editions

i do like my guildwars CE's, artbook <3

19. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

I bought the Fallout: NV collector's edition, first and probably last one I'll buy.

Last game I pre-ordered was homefront..... I'm not going to be pre-ordering again

20. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I bought the collectors edition of Fallout 3 after playing the game and then got myself the collectors edition of New Vegas. After getting ME2 for free, I bought ME1 and pre-ordered the collectors edtion of ME3 :lol:

Other than that the only pre-order I've done is for BF3. I was going to pre-order From Dust but didn't, THANK GOD