1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics COM PORT WINAMP CONTROL - volume controllers

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Lemonize, 14 Jan 2007.

1. Lemonize

Lemonize What's a Dremel?

Hello,

most likely, many of You know a little software called "Com Port Winamp Control" - which can control winamp externally, using 4 or 15 buttons and com port. Just connect the buttons with female com-port, connect it to pc and configure - and that is all, now You can control Your player externally.

The little article to read is here

The main problem is, that You can only click or hold a button, when You want to change the volume.

But - how could we connect "round" volume controller like this:

[​IMG]

I suppose, that there are 2 ways:

1. To change the scheme somehow

2. Or - try to create a controller, which will click on the buttons, when You roll it.

None of the above I have not solved yet :roll:

Any creative ideas, guys?

Thx

2. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

The com port (more correectly called a serial port) is a a digital interface "on or off" so you would need some form of DAC and software.

I havnt seen anyone do it, but I dont see why you couldnt use the game port instead, as that is more than capable of accepting analog inputs.

My suggestion however would be to use something like Winstick

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=142181

your average joystick should do the trick.

3. Lemonize

and what if we take a scrolling wheel from the mouse? it doese it's work pretty well - volume a bit higher/lower in winamp. the only problem now to connect it to the scheme ...

4. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

the picture of that big round button is one connected to a rotary encoder... it does give a digital signal... If it's a relative rotary encoder (which it most likely is) it gives a special 2-pin pulse-signal for each step (most have about 32 steps per round). The direction is shown in which pin pulses first.
    the trouble with this is that the signal is somewhat different to the signal of the one in the tutorial...

I can't think of any way to solve this just yet, but you did give me a great idea for my pc-control project, thanks for that one. (the only idea I've got is hook it up to a microchip/atmell microcontroller and interpret the signal, which is exactly what I'm going to do)

cheers :) and good luck on finding a way to do this easier then me :hip:

5. Lemonize

well, it's nice to hear that.. :clap:

but what if we try to think, how to make it pure mechanically?

6. agent420

agent420 What's a Dremel?

I think that is probably the only way you're going to get a rotary encoder to work with that software. If you go Atmel, check out Bascom AVR Basic, it has rotary encoder functions that are easy to use. The free demo compiles up to 4k code, this project sounds simple enough that it should easily fit within that limitation. There are schematics for a very simple lpt programmer in the help file.

There are mechanically switched rotary encoders available, but they still use different signalling. However you could probably use one through the printer port if you wrote or modified the Winamp software. If you are a programmer, there are lots of programming examples in C, VB and .NET.

The plug and play solution would probably be something like the Griffin Powermate.

7. bender386

bender386 What's a Dremel?

like cabe said i would use the gameport its all reddy setup for this and there is plugins for winamp if you google

8. agent420

I think I remember seeing references to those, but I wonder how many pc's still come with game ports? Though I guess you could get a pci card or usb converter...

EDIT -

I guess any usb joystick works as well...

Last edited: 15 Jan 2007
  9. agent420

Of course, you could always wire in a real, actual volume pot, between your audio out-jacks and your reciever/speakers... Wouldn't get much simpler than that.

10. Lemonize

that's true. but i want to make it in winamp... adjusting the system / speaker volume would be more easier, actually.

11. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

eww, that's a nasty way of reducing output volume :eeek: reducing the software amplification is way better then reducing line-signal strength...

there are actually two types of relative rotary encoders... just found out about the second type... the first one is the grey-coded binary-output rotary encoder, giving a fairly precise signal, and the second type is the noisy (as in much sound production when rotating the knob rapidly) and simple 'pulse left or right for every step' type, like bashing a button very rapidly...

This last type is usable for this application, as it is basically a left-rotation and right-rotation button in a knob... though I haven't found any suppliers yet, because everybody now uses the more precise type of rotary encoder

12. Lemonize

yeah, many adviced me to try rotary switches. but to say honestly, i even can not imagine how do i connect them even... too little experience, sitting now and trying to create a mechanism to switch between vol. up / down :-|

13. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

actually... it might be possible (though difficult) to make a rotary-switch decoder out of some logic gates and latches... There's no programming to that apart from some very good thinking when designing the circuit... I'm too tired now, but I'll try to design something like that tomorrow... I'll have enough spare time at school for that I guess... :p

14. Lemonize

LuitvD, I would appreciate very much if You create something to help me :)

15. DonCorleone76

DonCorleone76 Modmaster deluxe

Why not get a griffin powermate, this is a multifunctional usb-knob which you can use for many app's. I got one myself and i also work with the winamp comm-controller and lcd mod. :rock:

You can get one here (netherlands): http://www.mailamac.nl/index.php?ac...OWERMATE&sid=44096fd473323cfd72b226f1da1cd057

this is the silver edition and costs 35,00 Euro's, also available in black.

Otherwise, have fun making your rotary encoder, i tried :dremel: , i failed :duh: , succes :thumb: .

16. Lemonize

well, i thought about it. but i will need to mod it also - cuz design does not fit to project i am making. i will need to change the button shape at least, to change a color.. that's whay i am trying to make my own first.

one more question - can this powermate change winamp volume, when it is backgrounded.. i mean, when you are not focused on winamp

17. agent420

Might not be pretty, but it works! I only offerred it because it seemed a low-tech solution the OP could implement himself. Actually, I have seen some audiophile types that might disagree, depending on what software mixer was being used, but that's a topic I usually avoid ;)

I've never seen that type before; must use some type of one way slip-clutch innards... I can't imagine that type being popular as it would likely cost more than the common types and also be prone to mechanical failure... But as for the sound aspect, many common encoders also offer detent positioning.

Check out this link... it looks like its a logic gate away from the task.

Last edited: 16 Jan 2007
  18. agent420

Well, that is the definition of 'mod' :dremel:

I'm sure you can probably figure a way to replace the knob if you want. It may have the added bonus of providing control features the Winamp software does not provide. It is also a known working device, that may be an advantage if you don't have a lot of electronic experience.

I've not used one myself, I think specific product questions would be best answered by them.

19. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

oh my :hip: now I know for sure I can do electronics... my circuit is nearly identical to the one behind the link :D

20. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

I'm no audiophile, but I strongly disagree that a software volume control is better than analogue volume controls!!! :eeek: