1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Come one come all to see my exciting new dilema:Unsure about new monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Star, 4 Jan 2006.

1. Star

Star What's a Dremel?

Basically as the title says, I am in a situation where I am being forced to buy a new 19" LCD monitor (God I hate my situation :D , and no I am not just taking the micky, dad wants my monitor, says new monitor must be 19") where cost is not a real issue. However I am unsure what to go for, I have heard good things about dells, however my sony is very very nice. I am unsure which one to get, the dell or the sony, and any recommendations on models would be great. Thanks

2. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Samsung do a very nice 19" 8ms panel with their great zero-tolerance policy on dead pixels. It looks sexeh too :)

3. Star

Star What's a Dremel?

Im not too big a samsung fan, have had problems in the past. What is Dell's dead pixel policy?

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

if you buy it from www.aria.co.uk you can get a pixel check for £23.44

5. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Sony outstrips Dell for quality but vies with Viewsonic who have a fantastic range of monitors (and their 19" is a beauty!). If moneys no problem then go with Sony or Viewsonic.
    If you can afford it, play games regularly and have a 7800GT go for a 20" monitor, the Dell or Philips 20" widescreens are both great!

6. Star

Star What's a Dremel?

So if I go 19 i should get the sony? but 20 dell? why not a 20 sony? And the gfx card is a bitch of an issue that requires a PSU change first.

7. Star

Star What's a Dremel?

What about an apple monitor?

8. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

another vote for a samsung here.
    ive got the 913n which is vga only and its still better than my old LG dvi port.
    superb specs for the cash imho.

9. s29feb

s29feb What's a Dremel?

10. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

why go for tft when crt is better in visual areas and also cheaper?

11. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

I recommended the 20" Dell and Philips as they are ~£400 which is only a little more than you'd pay for a 19" Sony/Viewsonic but would upgrade your resolution to ~1680x1050 (can't recall exact figures). If you game and don't have a 7800GT then you won't be playing the latest games in native resolution so they won't look as good.

If you've got a slightly older gfx card and can't be bothered to change your PSU then go with a Sony/Viewsonic 19". If you are planning to upgrade your gfx card in the near future and play the latest games then go with a 20" panel so you can play them in 1600x1200 (standard)/1680x1050(widescreen) (a 20" Sony/Viewsonic will set you back £530/550 which is why I recommended the Dell/Philips).

12. Star

Star What's a Dremel?

I have an x600, oh the shame. Could I upgrade to a 7800 without changing the psu? And Im guessing the sony is the choice, but I am still interested in a 20" Apple.

13. waitandbleed

waitandbleed What's a Dremel?

Well to be honest and not rain on your parade, its more of a personal choice. I LOVE my sony LCD but I have friends that dislike it. Also best thing you could do I imagine is just go to a your local computer store and just browse around and if you see one you like go home read some reviews on it. Dont take this post as bashing - and Im sorry if it sounds like it - but the best thing I think you can get out of everyone post is a narrow selection. Good Luck. Hope you find the right one!

EDIT: Here I'll try and give you my top 3 choices

1) Apple Monitor or Dell Monitor. The LCD is actual the same if I remember correctly and if they arent EXACTLY the same they are close. Also it isnt an "Apple Monitor" Its made by I BELIEVE (could be wrong so dont quote me) Samsung.

2) Any Sony Monitor is nice I believe. Just matters on size.

3) My dads 20" Samsung is nice. Its TV with a VGA input. Pretty nice looking.

BTW these monitors are the best that I have seen. Meaning I have done no research and not saying what so ever that these are the best. These are the best out of the monitors that I have seen. Hope this helps!

Last edited: 5 Jan 2006
  14. M@tt

M@tt What's a Dremel?

If you have the money I would at least think about a Dell Ultrasharp 2001FP 20" 1600 x 1200 res

I have a one and I'm very pleased with it.

15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Because TFTs don't include free hernias, which is a good thing.

The Dell panels are excellent. The 20"WS especially is an incredible value and excellent quality.

16. 5aboy

5aboy Minimodder

just make sure you have a decent enough graphics subsystem to run the games at 1280 or 1600 or whatever! (ie nothing less than 7800GT!) and youll be fine!

i have samsung 913N and its a great monitor, but personally i do prefer my iiyama 454A (CRT) as i think its sharper, and has better colour reproduction, but the samsung is a great monitor!