1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Comet HDMI cable scam

Discussion in 'General' started by streetuk, 1 Aug 2011.

1. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Yeah, definitely. Sometimes it's just going to annoy them more to work for the cheaper option rather than go the simple, yet expensive way

2. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

I get what you're saying, but that's a flimsy argument imo, as you know that the people buying these overpriced HDMI cables are not doing it out of want to be 'cooler' - they're doing it because they don't know any different (ie, they don't know that a much cheaper cable will serve the exact same purpose). They're effectively being baited into buying the more expensive cables, and the comet scam is just the worst example of it.

This is going to get worse, though, when next year the HDMI company will be officially getting rid of the 1.3/1.4 spec system (it will be illegal from Jan 1st 2012 for companies to advertise HDMI cables with there version number), and instead be replacing it with labels like "High Speed" HDMI cable etc etc, which will conveniently provide companies a new way to rip consumers an even larger arsehole

3. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

To be blunt its the consumers fault if they over spend on a cable. The onus is on the customer to make an informed decision about their purchase and if they don't do the research they are susceptible to these kind of tactics. What Comet did is wrong but they only get away with it when people don't know what they are buying.

4. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Where will this apply - just California, just the US, or everywhere?

5. streetuk

streetuk What's a Dremel?

Yes because everyone has the internet and buys magazines to research on a cable don't they? If one of your grandparents did it, would you say "you should have researched before you bought it"?

6. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

To be fair if I bought a pair of trainers I would expect the store salesperson to guide me based on my requirements not to sell me the most expensive pair if a cheaper pair will do the job just the same. Comet are wrong, not the customer for being un informed.

7. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

No because my grandmother would have asked a more knowledgeable family member to buy it for her. Sales assistants should be there to help the consumer but they are sales people on commission and the large electrical retailers are notorious for this kind of thing. I'm surprised they did not try and sell her an extended warranty for the cable too. :D

8. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

Exactly what I thought when I read the thread originally. Telling someone a more expensive HDMI is better and they need it is over selling. We are biast because we know that the two things would have served the lay person exactly the same, they would get no benefit out of the slightly more capable and vastly more expensive version

Its like someone going into a car show room and asking for an everyday car and being sold a bentley. They dont need a bentley, a corrola would have done the exact same job. Or going to a jewelers and asking for a watch and being sold a rolex. Thats overselling

However. In the case of what comet did its not over selling, tricking someone into believing the more expensive cable was way better and the standard HDMI wasnt capable isnt the same they havent over sold they have cheated the customer

9. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

You could have told the manager that you'll be reporting them for false advertising streetuk... and maybe you would have received some sort of little bribe offer to shut you up :lol:

A much worse scam is fashion btw.

People will pay $400 for a pair of jeans instead of $40, believing that the $400 pair of jeans are more fashionable or sexy or other term which are all merely an opinion.
    The same reason why someone would pay $10,000 for a huge and heavy watch, instead of ~$100 for a much more compact and even more accurate one.

Overpriced and usually either recycled or just plain rubbish fashion, is brainwashing/scamming at it's finest, and it's 100% legal.

10. fata1_666

fata1_666 ...

Ive always brought cheap cables and they have servered me well over the year the difference in my eye is neglible

11. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

That's where you're going wrong. They don't plug into your eye...

:lol:

12. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

That's just young women for you though, my little sister is terrible for the amount of money she wastes on 'designer' clothes- take those stupid '***' boots; £100-200+, but you can buy the same thing with a different label for ~£40 elsewhere..

Anyone with common sense would do a little research or ask someone they trust for advice before spending money on expensive goods, instead they just buy whatever looks good & has fancy packaging- if they aren't bothered by the price then that's their call; if they are bothered, then they will no doubt find an alternative elsewhere after seeking a recommendation..

13. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Sorry dude, women are like wine, they get more expensive as they age :waah:

Let's not be sexist however, there are plenty of males out there that are even worse, their fashion isn't limited to what they wear.... and not just their car either... but even their pc... including every single component inside... :worried:

14. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

True^. I remember once a few years back when my older brother came down to visit; he looked at my awesome Hitec trainers and says "where are your brands man?.."

I lol'd.

15. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

One of my work colleagues fell into the expensive HDMI cable trap. A parcel arrived at work and he showed his 70 quid HDMI lead off to me. I didn't have the heart to tell him that to make the most out of it he needed a HD source. He was just plugging his DVD recorder into the TV with it.
    Next day he came in all smiles and said the picture was amazing and he was happy.
    Ignorance is bliss....

16. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

While we're all laughing at those uninformed muggles paying high prices for cables, are we prepared to take an honest look at our own lives? Do you really need that SLI setup with a Core i7 processor and 24GB of RAM? Is it really that crucial to pay as much money as possible to get every last frame possible from games that play just fine on lesser hardware?

Are we ready yet to admit that every one of us falls prey to selective pricing, we just do so in different areas?

17. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

At least you get something that is tangible from a better graphics card/cpu etc...
    HDMI cables you get absolutely nothing...

18. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

just make your own? use cat cable, splice a short cheap hdmi and some shrink tubing xD up to 50 feet and you avoid all the hype

19. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

Of course it's necessary! :naughty: SLI gives you that distinctive twin-fan whine that adds so much to game sound effects (and 2 sets of wiggly graphs to follow in MSI Afterburner) while a Core i7 gives you 8 sets of wiggly lines to follow in Task Managers CPU graphs!

And 24GB RAM, it should be obvious (especially for 32-bit Windows users...) that you need to fill all the RAM sockets, preferably with sticks sporting humungous go-faster heatsinks (anyone produced a RAM heatsink with flashing LEDs yet?) because that mahoosive figure really impresses g*rls when they set it on your BIOS startup! :p

20. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

That will apply everywhere in the world (AFAIK), seeing as the HDMI Licensing company have made the decision. Companies cannot say this is a HDMI 1.4 cable, or whatever, they have to say its a High Speed HDMI cable, or Standard HDMI cable, and so forth. Details are in the link I provided as well as on HDMI's wikipedia page (under 'versions' sub heading)