1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comp Insurance

Discussion in 'Serious' started by naylormat, 7 Jun 2009.

1. naylormat

naylormat New Member

Anyone know of a good insurance company that do cover for custom built computers ?

Only a student, n well having a nice expensive custom built pc sat in my flat without insurance worries me, don't want to lose that big chunk oh cash to some dumb drunken night or any theft / whatever.

Doubt i can get it on normal continence insurance, they only go up to bout grand per item, and compucover who i have my laptop policy with only go up to 1.7grand per item :( not good with it being something like £2100 without including peripherals

anyone any idea on who to go with for covering the thing?

chears

2. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

My pcs are covered by my contents insurance, and it even covers me for bringing them to lans and the like. Most decent contents insurance will cover computers with no issue.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I think Endsleigh do customisable policies for insurance - I seem to remember entering various values for my computer hardware etc when I grabbed insurance a couple of years ago.

[edit]Endsleigh do selectable in-room coverage for anything that doesn't leave the room, upto ridiculous amounts. Keep the invoices for the parts of your PC, just in case it does get nicked.

Tbh though casual thieves are more interested in laptops and light, valuable items that can be snatched through windows etc fairly quickly. You're quite unlikely to lose everything because someone turns up with a transit van and empties the place.

Last edited: 7 Jun 2009
  4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

Don't worry, after a year it will be worth £5, so replacing it won't be an issue :)

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I was with Endsleigh for a year when I was a student and they really were rip-off merchants when it came to adding any extras on to a policy, considering that the limit for unspecified items is so low.

Been using M&S for the last few years and they're great - all risks coverage for anything under £4000 included. They're probably a little more expensive for the basic policy than most others but when you start adding on bits and bobs on the others that are included with M&S it quickly adds up.

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Good tip - I never used Endsleigh because they were too pricey for me, but I remembered they did specific-item coverage. :D

M&S = bookmarked. :thumb:

7. whisperwolf

whisperwolf New Member

On the defence of Endsleigh when I first put the details on their website for my contents insurance t came back with a ridiculous price compared to other sites, however they actually called me about a day later to ask about the quote, which I pointed out was way to high with the extra cover and they immediately dropped the price to below the other quotes I had. I also used them for holiday cover, and unlike norwich union, when I actually had to claim due to lost luggage the Money came through within a week with no questions and queries. sometimes cheep cover is all well and good but I do like an insurance company that pays out when I do have a problem. To that end never use Norwich union or whatever they call themselves now, absolute con on their travel insurance.

8. Suicide

Suicide New Member

9. naylormat

naylormat New Member

nice tips guys :)

will have to look into them.

Yeh, shouldn't have too much of a problem with someone casually walking of with it. The cosmos s ways a ton, n iv nt put anything in it yet. Planed on using the metal bars / feet to chain it to the desk n all. So should all be good. Shouldn't be an issue while im in residence - just maybe bit more when i get a proper flat.

Basically i likes my hardware safe :) main issue with it is damages or fire, rather than someone nicking it.

Only time its gonna move out oh room is to go back home, so thats all good n all :)

just hope quotes ain't too much, would like to have me drink money left :p

10. naylormat

naylormat New Member

thanks for idea - but they insuring pre-built ****.

not much use for my new rig.

Plus have you seen that guy their using on computer inusrance advertisment bit ?

[​IMG]

LOL - how much pain does he look to be in :eyebrow: not exactly very assuring for insurance

11. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

any contents insurance will cover a custom built PC provided you can prove you bought all the components like most other things.

receipts and photos makes sure they pay out.

*NINJA EDIT* - wont cover accidental damage though i dont think. theft they will though.

also content insurance for £1000 ! thats pants.

for uni i was covered on my parents content insurance (prudential) upto £5000 including taking my laptop around with me (dont have one though) providing my bedroom door had a lock on it.

also if its custom built then your reciept is for several lower priced items ??? so technically all you did was fit them together. It isnt 1 item LOL.

Last edited: 9 Jun 2009
  12. naylormat

naylormat New Member

lol, that should work thinking bout it.

just send them receipts for each different component. They where all bought as septate items after all :)

would make a nice way of upgrading at some point as well... get it nicked, claim for components, though in some extra cash and get new stuff :D