1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Compact Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Highland3r, 23 Nov 2007.

1. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

I've decided to upgrade my laptop to something with a bit more grunt since my desktop doesn't really get much use anymore.

Currently using a Phillips X56 (core2, 1gb ram, intel gfx) which is great size wise @ 12.1" but lacks power.

After a bit of looking around, the Dell M1330 looks pretty awsome for the money (T2500, 8400M, 2gb ram, 160GB 7200 rpm hdd, 9 cell Li-ion, 13.3") weighing in at just over a 1k.
    For a Sony vaio of similar specs you're talking 1300 quid + although I'd assume the build quality etc will be better than that of the Dell.

Does anyone have any experience with the M1330 or the Vaio SZ series? Basically the criteria are small (i.e 13.3" or below) and good all round performance, decent battery life and something which isn't going to fall apart after 20 mins :p

Budget wise, ~1200 is ideal but I'm willing to stretch if it's worth spending the extra!

Cheers

2. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Well we at TR all love the M1330, Andy our notebook guy even has one now, but I would say if you can stretch to the Sony Vaio TZ then do it - I want one so bad it hurts! For the £1400-odd your paying your getting the best notebook known to man , seriously.

3. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

From a quick scan over the sony webby it looks like they're intel only gfx - was hoping for a little more power from the card (not that the 8400 in the dell is awsome...)
    Have I missed something?

4. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Intel graphics gives you a better battery life and you can't game on a notebook anyway.

5. dognosh

dognosh What's a Dremel?

I do:D (on AC not battery)

6. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Not after heavy gaming, just something a bit better than Intel generic :p

7. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Picked up the M1330 in the end.
    Really impressed with Dell's delivery. I was expecting things to be shockingly bad, but everything went smoothly. Status updates where prompt and it arrived 5 days before the ETA given at the time of order.
    It's worked out at 7 days from order to delivery which isn't bad at all!

First thoughts are the screen is simply awsome. So much better than my current laptop, it's all very nippy indeed. Considering its got vista on it, everything loads nice and quick. Sure that'll change once its full of crap but we'll see!

Big thumbs up to dell, for the cash its REALLY hard to beat the M1330 on paper. Build quality on this machine is excellent and it looks stunning!

Tags: