1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Compact with £200 budget! Your Advice Please

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by bdigital, 8 May 2012.

1. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Hey all,

So i now need to get my better half a new compact digital camera. We are after something fairly decent this time, with a budget of £200.

The main use is.....

- Her cakes/bakery (she has a portfolio website that she puts pics of her cakes on)

Ive now got myself a DSLR for the posh pictures when we do a website update, but this will be for the moment after she has finished her latest bakery creation and wants to upload the pics.

So something that will produce really nice looking crisp images with nice colours, without too much faffing around. She wants to be able to put in on a tripod, put the cakes on a nice backdrop and press click

- Holiday snapper is the obvious other use, something that performs well in low light is always nice too.

So are there any stand out compacts at this price point? I have heard good things about the Lumix range?

Anyways, your opinions are greatly appreciated. Thank you :thumb:

2. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Any thoughts?

3. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Thing is though personally I'd never use a compact to take photos that are going to showcase my abilities as a cake maker etc. Poor flash output being one reason. I actually thought you might be better off investing in maybe an external flash, brolly, and stand to better light said cakes against a white backdrop, maybe a macro lens to get the detail shots of the cake.

But seeing as you want a camera for her, Perhaps this;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-L...KOIK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336828895&sr=8-2

Started out in the £300 mark, and is now £180.

Or this;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Power...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1336829035&sr=1-1

Although I'd still go for the panasonic.

4. G12EG

G12EG What's a Dremel?

sony wx100 looks pretty good you get cashback as well check amazon