1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Compaq Luggable :D LCD Dispaly fun, pics inside. Also small problem! Help needed.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx, 29 May 2004.

1. Ben

Ben What's a Dremel?

what about plugging a normal monitor in to the compaq's card and take of the LCD bit and see if it will boot.

Ben

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I think he did that. No dice, I'm afraid. Back to theory 1. I think that the problem still is that the Graphic card wants more current than most mobos are designed to channel over PCI.

Looks like the Graphic card has 2Mb of memory on board --that corresponds to the specs of the Presario 3060, BTW.

Excelsior, I really, really think that you should find out what current the LCD panel requires to run. :wallbash:

3. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Some better pics of the LCD would be useful too.

Have you found the inverter for the backlight?

4. Henri

Henri What's a Dremel?

Like star882 already mentioned the card doesn't seem to have a BIOS chip on it. If you look at your average S3 PCI video card there should be BIOS chip on it. Maybe the BIOS is combined with the motherboard BIOS to save in costs.
    So not having BIOS would cause problems booting with the card on other motherboards. I don't know what happens if a secondary video card in the system doesn't have BIOS. Anyone know what happens in the boot process ?

I think you could try getting this to work as secondary video card. What S3 chip does it exactly have on it ? Maybe you could try it with a primary video card having similar S3 chip.

Another problem that comes up is that where does the video card get the correct settings to drive the lcd panel ? BIOS most likely.

I think the hardware you have has very good potential but it might not be as simple as just plugging it in. Maybe some knowledge to write the proper settings to the S3 chip registers would be necessary.

Or maybe adding some EEPROM with the proper VESA EDID data structure might be sufficient if the video card knows how to read it.

5. xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx

xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx What's a Dremel?

:waah: The pins on the back of that videocard are *So* intimidating :(

I'm a novice when it comes to electronics, and I'd have to buy a new multimeter since I Haven't been able to locate mine in.. aeons.

Also I' d need a LOT of help from you as to determine these things :p

I'm replugging in my digital camera again, since I accidentally left it on overnight :p

It's a sharp LQ123S31C

I'll hopefully get some more pics within the hour.

6. xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Showing the screen, and hten the model.

-Excelsior

7. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

If you need to find the pinout google, LQ12S31 not LQ12S31C. I would show you a couple of the files but i dont know what im looking for.

8. xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx

Pinout would bve nice, or a way to determine how to convert to VGA, or other compatible signal, or a way to make this PCI vidcard work with it >.<

-Excelsior

9. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

http://files.diamondsystems.com/cdrom/Prometheus/VGA/Nucleus PC104-391.pdf

look on pages 15-17. the left row shows the pins for the controller chip the datasheet is on, then it shows the label of that poin, then it shows the lcd's pin number that corresponds to that, then it shows the name of the pin on the lcd. should help you match up what goes where on a new controller.

10. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Well here are my two cent. look at the lcd and find out witch wires go to the inverter ind in witch polarity. Then use a multimeter to determine the voltages going to the lcd when pluged in the compaq mb, then plug it in a pc that the lcd dosent boot up on, then remasure the voltages. If they fluctuate and spike during startup then you dont have enuf juice going to the lcd, most likely the lcd is going to need 3.3v so soter on the pci board two wires and plug it in an old pc that u would not mind loosing and b4 starting up wire the desired voltage to the lcd from the psu, and boot it up. Hopefully nothing should explode or his and spark and if you did it correctly you should have enuf juice to power the thing up,

As for the vga card not having a rom it may be untrue since my old 8meg agp s3 did not have a rom chip on it and worked on any system I tested and my card was from a compaq, It may be chip that has a ondie rom.

Hopefully it should help.

11. Nexxo

Sounds like a reasonable approach. I would also study the inverter very closely, since it may give a clue to its operating current. This inverter is what accounts for the LCD panel's high power requirement.

A brief Google on "LQ12S31 specs" gives me the following link:

http://www.ergpower.com/pdf30/k1949.pdf

which is a .PDF sheet of the specifications of the K1949 inverter designed to drive this particular LCD display. The illustration looks very much like the inverter in your photo, so I assume that's the one. It reveals that it likes to run on 12.0V, 550 mA. Now if you remember my first post:

You'll see that the inverter is exceeding specs slightly. Not by much, but perhaps enough to create problems with some boards.

You need to work out whether your intended mobo PCI can deliver that current over its 12V line. However, if you can run the inverter independently off the PSU, as jaguarking11 suggests, it may work around the problem.

Last edited: 1 Jun 2004
  12. xthal

xthal What's a Dremel?

How old is this board, because the PCI-spec has been revised on several occasions and its latest incarnation has dropped the 5V completely and has completed the migration to 3.3V only slots!

It could be what causes your problems, though I'm not certain of it.

edit: take a look at http://www.pcisig.com/home for PCI specs.

13. Nexxo

I think you may be right here, xthal. It would be easy to check out in the new mobo manuals what version PCI they have. I believe it is safe to assume that the Compaq mobo still has ye olde PCI with 5V.

14. xthal

xthal What's a Dremel?

Well you probably dont have a 5V-less PCI slot, probably v.2.3, because the v.3.0 spec came out 19 april this year (If my memory serves me correctly).
    But that might be different enough for it not to work... dont shoot me if I'm wrong though :worried:

15. xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx

[​IMG]
    4 pin connector that goes to the inverter... obviously for power. Which pins should I measure with the multimeter to see how much it's drawing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Nexxo

You don't. We have already established how much current it draws (see specs above. Do try to keep up, will you? :p ): 550 mA, at 12V. If you still want to go ahead, assume that the two outer lines are the GNDs and the three inner lines are +.

What you do have to do however, is establish the version of PCI on your newer recipient mobos. If it's revision 2.3 or 3.0, check whether they still supply 12V. If they don't, you may have to feed the inverter independently.

17. xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx

I thought you guys said you THINK that was it :p Hence I wanted to be sure...

K here's the deal: I found a better way.

Since I don't wanna go digging for a power supply, I decided to do things the simple way: Disconnect the ribbon that takes the power from PCI to the transformer.

Of course you can't see the display, but it should still boot up, shouldn't it?

Well, I disconnected the inverter from everything, elminating the supposed draw that was too much and I still get the same deal.

-Excelsior

18. Nexxo

Even though power draw is eliminated, there still is the possible incompatibility issue of ye olde PCI GPU card (with 12V and 5V pins) on your newer mobos with newer versions of PCI. If I understand correctly (and there is no guarantee that I do), even though there's no current draw, the GPU card will still announce its power requirements through its pin configuration... So this may simply be an unsolveable situation... :(

But who wants an old 2MB video card anyway? Perhaps you need to look at a circuit that allows you to connect the screen to VGA, which exist, but are pricey, or even better just get yourself an old second-hand 15" TFT monitor and mod the innards to fit the Compaq box.

19. xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx

I want the old 2MB video card because it has the controller for this thing :<

I came up witha few more things.. blah I saw this nice site that had a bunch of controllers and tester boards, I believe it mentioned it.. I saw it a few weeks ago from googling, I can't find it anymore :duh:

Here are some links I found... I really want this either to be moddable like the laptopscreen howto thread to vesa, or be able to use this as an actual PCI card :(

http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cach...-Sharp%20LQ12S31%20to%20686.pdf+LQ12S31&hl=en
    pinout

http://www.spectrah.com/LD-S272.htm
    Weird PCI Card thing that mentions it

20. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

Are you sure that the LCD isn't connected to the VESA feature connector of the videocard? The VESA connector is digital, so in that sense it should work... is it maybe an idea to use a molex from your PSU to supply the higher voltage/current needed and have video data coming off that VESA connector (if that is the case)?