1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Compatabilty question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mikeuk2004, 12 Sep 2014.

1. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Hi,

I ordered a MSI Z97I motherboard which states its supports 1600mhz and 2400(OC)mhz ram for example. I have only recently learnt that OC = Overclocking.

Therefore my question is, does this board support 2400mhz ram or does it mean that it only supports 1600mhz ram which can be overclocked to 2400mhz?

I have already received the ram 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro Red DDR3 2400Mhz and now worried that I will have compatability issues when I receive my MSI Z97I ITX MB.

Cheers

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Nono - it should be fine. Out of the box, it will probably default to a lower speed (which the 2400 RAM will run at), and then you will need to manually set the RAM speed (probably XMP). I haven't ever had RAM that clocks that fast! ;)

3. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Cool, I'll just wait now and play around with it when the mother board arrives. My order is held up because the Corsair Graphite 380T case is on pre-order. Didnt realise when I read the BT review that it wasnt available yet. Just not sure when ill get it because overclockers quote 19 Sep where as Scan quotes 29 Sep and another website quotes Oct :(

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I think you have to take prospective availability dates with a pinch of salt. I waited and waited for a Phantec PWM Hub and no one really knew the true date. Gave up eventually and I no longer pre order components.

Edit: Just checked I ordered the hub on the 25th July and it is still not in. Though as I said I cancelled the order.