Other Computer blue screens every 5 mins

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Flak, 9 Jan 2018.

1. Flak

Flak Member

Hi guys, I have a major problem with my machine blue screening every 5 minutes or thereabouts. The error is STOP: 0x000000F4

I have run sfc /scannow and this comes up clear, I have also run chkdsk and this completes showing some errors repaired. My SSD is seven years old and I'm wondering if this could be failing? I have also run crystal disc info and my drive shows as still good at 100%

I'm at a bit of a loss where to go with this, so any help would be gratefully received!

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

What's the system specs? If it's overclocked remove the overclock or increase the vcore and if it's a socket 1366 increase the QPI voltage.

3. Flak

Flak Member

Thanks for the reply, my system specs are Windows 7 professional core i7-2600k 16Gb of ram, Corsair 120 Gb SSD, Corsair 850 Watt PSU, Nvidia GeForce 1060 6 Gb, onboard sound. 1 Tb Samsung 7200 spin point HDD for data. The machine is not overclocked and has been performing well for seven years.

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Next time it happens reboot and have a look in event viewer see if anything there is showing up as a critical fault around the time your computer blue screened.

5. Flak

Flak Member

Event viewer just shows that windows was unexpectedly shut down, that's all.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

How are your temperatures?

What about pulling the HDD and the graphics card to see if the bluescreens continue?

7. adidan

adidan Avatar is back out of season.

http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed is what i've used in the past to help identify with naughty drivers. It'll analyse dumps for you.

Seems the f4 code has a number of causes, hdds (but your ssd seems fine), ram, avast even. Sometimes even just taking out the cmos battery and putting back in (or replacing) solved it. Talking of which i just had to put a new one in mine recently (in since bought z77 board). Anyhoo...

8. Flak

Flak Member

Don't know if this is signifies anything but when the machine blue screens it says initialising disk for crash dump, and collecting data for crash dump, but then goes no further. The machine locks and no dump is made! I have checked where windows stores the mini dump files and there is nothing there.

9. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude Flying Dutchman

I reckon your SSD may be on the way out, but it could be a number of things as mentioned previously.

10. Corky42

Corky42 What did walle eat for breakfast?

You could try running through this Crucial support article as it could be related to Windows deciding to power down the SDD when it shouldn't have (ideally "turn off hard drive after" in power settings should be never), also it's probably worth checking you're running the latest firmware.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2018