1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice computer build/ quiet 4870?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by metarinka, 22 Dec 2008.

1. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

Building a new compy, I'm confident on all the parts save for the GPU and PSU. Any suggestion on a quiet HD 4870 1gb
    as of right now I'm using a 7950 Gts and I have to say it's very quiet in 2d mode/ desktop mode and only rev's up a bit in 3d mode. from more than a few feet away I can't hear my computer at all and I'm growing spoiled of the quiet computer

However I'm running an x2 3800 with 1gb of ram and a 7950.. the computer is starting to show it's age.

so far I was looking at
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127397
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121291
    the asus is a few bucks cheaper and looks nice, but I hear it's a little louder

I'm looking for a quiet(est) 4870
    the rest of the system looks like:
    core 2 duo e8400
    asus p5q-e mobo
    corsair ddr 1066 2gb (x2)
    antect neo power 650

I'm also not sure about the power supply, I know that one will work but I'm not sure if there are better/cheaper alternatives out there?

any help would be appreciated!

2. IanJackson

IanJackson Photographer & Modder

Well both of those graphics cards use smaller fans which means higher fans speeds will always be noisier. I have a visiontek radeon hd 4870 512mb card with the stock cooling and since the new ccc has come out u can change the fan speed on your own. The fan gets loud around 40% but when playing crysis on all high, i have the fan set at around 35% and the temp never goes over 60c. But the asus one does look nasty haha:D

As for a power supply id recommend the corsair 750TX : LiNkY : I own it and it is soo nice and only $100 after and easy mail in rebate!

Good Luck!:thumb:

Ace

3. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

4. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

HIS IceQ4 4870. Nuff Said.

5. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

WOW! Why are the 4870's so cheap now!? Are the 4870X2 below $500CAD now?

6. metarinka

i would like to mention that I'm looking for the 4870 1gb, some of those coolers look nice, but it seems foolish to pick up a 512 when a 1gb can be had for so cheap

7. IanJackson

ya i was gunna say ha "hes already said he wants a 1gb version"

8. IanJackson

9. voodoo2k4

voodoo2k4 Ghetto Modder

My advice:

I have a stock style 4870 and its loud and hot, plain and simple. So I brought a thermalright t rad 2 and its reduced my noise from loud to quiet and temps from 110c (ouch!) to 45c!

So my advice get cheapest possible and use an aftermarket cooler like the T-rad2!

Dean.

10. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Maybe this is more up your alley?

11. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Well I have This one, and find it to be very quiet, and its runs very cool too. I know it only gets a 7/10 but its depends on what you're after, for me its great.

However I'm not sure if its available in the US so I think the US equivalent is This one. I'm pretty sure its the same card but just under a different name.

12. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Is that a rev. 1 or rev. 2 you have? For rev. 2 they switched the second fan for a PWM model. Rev. 1 was apparently unbearably noisy...

13. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

14. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

The first one they made had only 512MB and one fan could not be adjusted so yes it was very noisy. I have the 1GB version which has both fans adjustable, so its very quite, unless you put them on full lol!

15. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

I second that, both models have larger fans so will be quieter, not to mention larger heatsinks and heatpipes (better cooling).

Also, I have a (stock cooler) Sapphire HD 4870 512 and I have had no problems at all, if you run the fan speeds at higher than normal.

Is that easy to fit? It looks like it'd be a bitch to get on. Also, it doesn't come with any fans :(
    But I am quite tempted. So yeah was it easy to fit? And are there any really good 92mm quiet fans (without having to go super-price Noctua-type silent ;)) or have you gone for passive cooling?

Last edited: 27 Dec 2008
  16. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I've heard the Scythe Musashi should be an excellent and quiet aftermarket VGA cooler. And I've still got a soft spot for the Arctic Cooling TwinTurbo cooler. Force3D are using it on their Black Edition HD48xx series.

17. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Looking at both of those, the Scythe Musashi looks huge. :/

The TwinTurbo looks good though, though all the statistics quoted are for nVidia cards.
    And it's only £25 inc. delivery on Play.com..
    I'll see some reviews.

Edit: I saw some reviews and the Twin Turbo also makes any GFX a triple-PCI-slot.. which is a serious downer for me. I'll look for different ones.

I know you weren't aiming this at me but thanks for the info ;)

Last edited: 26 Dec 2008
  18. metarinka

Tags: