1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Computer Building Help

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by chaza218, 20 Apr 2010.

1. chaza218

chaza218 Newbie Computer Builder

:read:

Hello
    I am 14 years old and have been an avid gamer since I was 4 . I have recently decided to create my own gaming computer and I don't understand what to get.

All i want it to do is run a handful of games at a good pace such as Modern Warfare 2, Dead Space and Just Cause 2.

I don't know what parts to get, all I have decided on is a Thermaltake S series case and a AMD phenom 2 black edition processor. I really need to get some help with this so I have turned to the Custom PC Forum.

:waah:

Chaza218

EDIT : sorry i forgot, budget is between £700 - £800 . i Know how to assemble it cos i have a friend who has done this before, its just i dont know what components to get :p

Last edited: 21 Apr 2010
  2. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

Start with the BT/CPC April buyers guide here

Whats you budget?!

note the only machines with AMD CPUs are the "affordable all rounder" and the "Folding Rig"

AM3 is surely to be the last on that socket why buy something with no upgrade path?

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Here are some small tips:
    1- You want Windows 7 64-bit of teh edition that fits your needs.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions#Comparison_chart
    (Your choices are Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate Edition)

2- Ground yourself before building your system. To do this, you can touch a plug-in Power supply of a computer, or wash your hands (water will conduct electricity, which touches the metal copper pipes which conduct electricity as well, which touches the ground. Also you have clean hands.

3- NEVER EVER touch any golden connector. always put your fingers on the board edges.

4- CPU's are tricky to example... for me I am always scared that the board or CPU will break. It never does, but the problem I am most facing, is not be able to cover the cost if it breaks :).
    Please read CAREFULLY the CPU and motherboard manual carefully.

4- **READ ALL MANUALS BEFORE DOING ANYTHING**, especially if it's the first time your doing it.

5- I recommend Gigabyte motherboard as they are very easy to work with, the manual is complete and easy to understand, and the board is of high quality and less likely to break during assembly.

6- if you have no floppy drive (http://www.pcpsinc.com/osc/eshop/images/Beige floppy drive.jpg) Make sure to disable Floppy drive in the BIOS. It is important that you do this, else Windows setup will get stuck during loading, as it wait for the floppy drive to be ready... which will never be the case as you don't have one.

7- Power Supply, this is the heart of the computer.. it's best to get a good one to ensure maximum system stability, and ensure long longevity of your components.

8- Mouse, keyboards and speakers. These peripherals are important. What's the point of getting a nice computer while you have crap peripherals to use it. And by crap, I mean uncomfortable and poor quality. When buying a keyboard and mouse, it is best to have a look at a retail store for one, and have a feel to it, before ordering it online (or from wtv your are going to get your parts from). What's the point of buying super mouse if it has spike all around. Well my point is that a good mouse is more than reading reviews, you should see how it feels in your hand. Some people have big hands, other not.
    Logitech and Microsoft make fine quality peripherals. I don't know about Microsoft, but Logitech tech support is above and beyond when you call. Fast call, and don't even ask you to ship the product if you have the bill (which they may ask to fax or e-mail them), and the product PiD number under the device. Of course don't go low end, as you'll get low end.

9- If you have access to someone who has a nice experience in building computers, have that person with you for tips and tricks. Of course, don't let him or her build the computer for you.. that is useless, but have him provide tips and information for knowledge.

10- More fans doesn't really mean better cooling. It's all about air flow engineering. The worst that could happen is a what I like to call heat bubble, where hot air gets trap somewhere heating a segment of your computer and causing system stability issue due to overheating. The best solution is that you want fresh air coming in front of the case, and the hot air comes out. Side door ventilation are usually asking for trouble, and would avoid them if possible (or not connect the side fan, at least).

11- Thermal paste from heatsink. You have 1 try... if you remove the heatsink and the thermal paste on the heatsink touched the CPU, you need to remove the thermal paste on it, and apply new one. You can avoid this, by taking your time, and ensuring that the fan power cable can reach the motherboard connector easily, and reading the motherboard and CPU instruction manual.

12- Air flow. to ensure quiet system operation, or should I say quietest operation, it is best to sure that wires are hidden, put away from the case air flow... remember that the air flow of your computer is weak, having wires in the middle block the air from reaching components that needs fresh air.

13- Ensure that the back of your computer, once fully assembled, that all the wires are out of the way to allow the hot air to escape easily, to reduce system fan noise.

14- You always get what you paid for.

15- Once Windows is installed, install your motherboard drivers first form the provided disk or if you have an internet connection already thanks to Windows built-in drivers, have a look at at the chipset manufacture and motherboard manufacture web site for the latest drivers. Then install your graphic card and sound card. Once done, run a Windows Update. Once all done, check again for Windows update and if nothing now you can install stress test software and test the stability of your computer to ensure proper function. Once you run a test for an hour and everything is fine... no very high temperatures, system stable, now you can stop it, and install your software and games and enjoy your system.
    I have addition tips, but I'll mentioned them when you get there.

4. chaza218

Budget is between £700 - £800

5. chaza218

What is the "Folding Rig"

6. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

The folding rig is for people who run folding @ home - a collaboration of computers all working to fold protein samples in order to try and find more about / fine cures for ailments.

In others words, not for gaming ;)

I'd base around the gaming workhorse and try to say a few pounds - eg a core i5 650 is £150 (£80 less than the i7 listed).

Also a 5770 is around £100 less than the 5850

A corsair 650W (650TX) is £75

using the rough guide price, with those 3 parts above (priced from scan), that's £735

add £77 for Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM is £812.

I'm sure the guide price is a little high. Also, though a none stock cooler is much better, the stock one will be ample if not over clocking, if a little noisy (listed at £30 in the guide).

+1 for gigabyte boards. Its all I pretty much use now.

7. chaza218

OK i think i will proabebly do that or go for the enthusiastic overclocker with a fenir cooler and a core i3 or i5