1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Computer enthusiast standoff!

Discussion in 'General' started by chrisb2e9, 10 Apr 2009.

1. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

don't know how many push ups i can do as i row for my uni.

the 4 hours twice a week training in a gym and 8 hours rowing at the weekend keeps me ok.

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Lol getting muscle is easy, keeping it toned is a tough task.

3. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

hmmm 5'7 1/2, 205 pounds... last year in gym I did 36 push-ups in under a minute, and 50 sit ups in under a minute... if I tried now, in under a minute I can still do roughly 50 sit ups, but push-ups would be pushing 20 lol... I'm damn out of shape, I don't eat a lot, just a slow matabolism, though I've heard smaller meals more often will help speed it up...

4. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

yes i've heard that too. mine is slow as well. eating twice a day certainly doesn't help.

once i go to school in fall i'll be in a proper schedule which will help.

5. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

6' 240.

Most of which is muscle. The only parts of my body that are toned are my fore arms, biceps/triceps and my calfs.

When you move speakers and amp racks on a daily basis, you get in shape pretty quick.

I'm out of shape though since I was unemployed. I'll stop being lazy eventually.

6. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

6' @ 175 lbs.

I usually do 3 sets of 50 situps on exercise balls. I usually don't bother with pushups.

For cardio, I run a mile @ 7- 9 mph, depending on the last time I was at the gym, or 10 - 15 miles on the stationary bike. And I also spend 15-20 mins on the heavy bag and 30 mins on the speed bag. I lost my sparring partner :(

7. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

~50 pushups, 100 situps here. xc skiing keeps me in pretty decent shape during the winter, and then my arms turn to jelly in the summer because biking doesn't really put too much stress on them. though landscaping last summer helped with that.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I could tell you about my secret ninja workout routine, but I would then have to kill you. :p

9. Major

Major Guest

Say that to a Bodybuilder, he'll smack you in the face. ;)

Can do around 50 push ups, but I've been doing Bodybuilding for the last 5 months, so ask me in 6 weeks time when I am 12lbs lighter and I'll be able to do 100+ :)

On my chest days, I do 3x12 fisted push ups, then on biceps/shoulder days, I do 3x12 slow pushups, totally different stuff.

10. That Bald Guy

That Bald Guy Hi-Tech Redneck

Well I figure I'll join in the mix here as well...

I'm 5' 11 3/4" and tip the scales at around 240lbs.

I'm trying to get back into shape right now, punishing my cheap bike into 15miles 4x a week, doing sets of 10 push-ups (6 different styles including incline and decline, sets of 10 sit-ups, all slow, 4 different styles, and only do 1 [round] of each a day. Also work out with home-made weights, doing curls of 45lb concrete dumbells and doing deadlifts with a bar off the back of my John Deer lawnmower. Maybe some day I'll get another gym membership and stop being suck a darn redneck. People must think I look a fool lifting blocks of concrete with a steel bar in the middle and lifting the back of my lawnmower, but hey, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, right?

11. dom_

dom_ --->

Indeed!
    Nothing wrong with home work outs.

I started about 3 months ago training properly. Until then i played around with stuff.

I started to log my lifts and chucked loads of isolations out and put in loads of compounds.
    Monday Push
    Flat Bench
    4x8
    Military Press
    4x8
    Incline Bench
    3x10
    Skull Crushers
    3x8

Wednesday Legs
    Back Squat
    4x8
    Stiff Leg Deadlift
    4x8
    Lunges
    3x10
    Front Squat
    3x8

Friday Pull
    Deadlift
    4x8
    Wide Grip Chins
    4x8
    T-Bar Rows
    3x10
    Ez Curls
    3x8

Tuesday and Thursday morning i get up before breakfast and do sets of sprints. 4 sets of 30seconds all out with 30 seconds walking inbetween. Follow this with 4 sets of 15 press up burpees. Takes 15 minutes max including a gentle jog to warm up and does more for fat burning than you could ever do doing slow cardio on bikes, treadmills etc.

Diet is massively important. Until you fix your diet you won't see much gain. Remove all sugar and heavily processed food stuffs and get loads of protein in you (lots of eggs, and meat etc), wholegrain foods, fruit, vegtables etc.

I have lost almost 2 stone now (in 3 months) and am now starting to add some good muscle mass. When i started i could barely do press ups let alone lift anything heavy. Now im squatting my own body weight easily in 4 sets of 8. Deadlift is a good 15kg over my bodyweight for the same number and sets. Abs are also just starting to show through now because my bodyfat is getting low enough.

So yeah... in summary, get a plan, add weight every week/other week, control your diet, don't spend too long on it! (each workout is max 45mins, the sprints etc 15mins), rest and recovery (get long good sleep).

12. That Bald Guy

That Bald Guy Hi-Tech Redneck

I used to be extremely fit (back in college) but that's when I was a thrower (track and field). Was able to do 600lb deadlift, 325lb flat bench, 275lb clean, etc. Just need to get back into the swing of things. Took a number of Sports Nutrition classes in college, so luckily I know (mostly) what I'm doing. I've had a number of injuries, however, and as such, my joints need a lot of strengthening before I can even touch those numbers again. Right now my joints hurt well before my muscles do, which is frustrating, but with time and patience, I feel that I should be able to get back into heavy lifting again. The other downfall is I have a darn office job now... :(

13. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

push ups are great and all, but if thats your only upper body work-out you will "round" your shoulders.

im no medical expert, so i could only advise you to google the term, or let a more knowing athlete tell you.

curious to see how many push ups (controlled, flat back, palms down) i can do in a row. will post back later.

14. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Heavy cardio, PUs, SUs, dips, light lifting and diet (400cals per meal x 5).

Prime: 67PUs in 1min / 56SUs in 1min / 11m5s 1.5mile run. 6'4" 195lbs
    Now:45PUs in 1min / 30SUs in 1min / 13m34s 1.5mile run. 6'4" 220lbs

15. Major

Major Guest

Totally disagree there, most workouts using weights are 1 hour+, and if you are working out correctly, you'll be resting most of the time i.e. 1 minute inbetween sets, 2 minutes or more inbetween routines. Today I did my chest and back, took me just over an hour, and later on I will do my abs, that's around 1 hour 15, and many people workout 2 hours+ i.e. Bodybuilders,
    But it depends on routines, and what works well with you.

And home workouts can be exactly the same as Gym workouts (Except leg machines, I have to admit...), you just need 2 barbells, good range of weights, bench, pull down, and away you go, job sorted.

And for those losing weight, my page on Bodybuilding.com will help you out. :)

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/sammy_el_tawil.htm

Got proper thin back then, have packed on 2 stone since then, I would say around 40% of that is fat, but you can't really see it except lower belly (thanks to the excess skin) and face, but when I lose it in the next 6-8 weeks, I shall look a lot lot better than what I did back then (I look better now).

16. Major

Major Guest

Delete

17. Aericon

Aericon Hyperbol!!!!

Me too!

6' 1' 130-135 lb. I did between 100 to 200 sit-ups every night for a few months but it was aggravating my already hurt back so I had to quit. I am afraid I cannot do a pushup or chin up though. :D

18. dom_

dom_ --->

Yes but body builders are all jacked up so their bodies can take it and still get good results. For a normal human if you lift big and heavy doing the major compounds you shouldn't be able to tie your laces after 45mins let alone lift anything else. But hey whatever works for you.

19. Major

Major Guest

I'm a normal human and I go for 20 minute runs after my weights routines. ;)

After a period of time, your body recovers quicker and you start to get used to it, now I can push my body a lot harder than 4 months ago. One example of recovery is when I take a week off every 12 weeks, the first session I have my muscles hurt big time the next day because your muscles are not adapted, then at your 3rd session you'll be back to normal and full strength again.

20. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

6 foot and 140lbs also very unfit.

24 push ups and 50ish situps. Used to be more than that when I was actually training properly.