1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer fun

Discussion in 'General' started by mikealex, 28 Oct 2007.

1. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

Whenever I'm in the campus library's computer lab, if a friend turns around for a couple seconds, I'll just hold down Win+E until it sticks, then let go. He'll be wondering why 50+ explorer windows are all over the computer, and if he's a complete dolt he'll try to close them one at a time.

I used to also do the keyboard shortcut to rotate the entire screen, but I can't remember it anymore.

2. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I used to love setting peoples homepage to disgusting scat websites.

3. EmJay

EmJay What's a Dremel?

CardJoe, shame on you!

There are some prank downloads that will move the cursor in a random direction every few seconds. It's best if you set it to move only a few pixels, it takes longer to figure out that way.

It's fairly simple to telnet into a mail server that uses the POP3 protocol. From there you can send 'emails' using anything you wish as the send address. More than a few of my college friends got emails from their computer, from God, etc. It was very tempting to send one from a professor announcing that class was canceled for the day... Didn't want to get in that much trouble, though. :D

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I just tried to see what you mean... I have WinXP SP2 fully update... after opening like 50+ window, Windows said it was out of memory, and I could not right click anymore (menu didn't appear) and draw only part of the last explorer window. To be able o have my right click menu, I had to at least close 2 explorer window. I see that Microsoft didn't fully fix the Win98 bug after all this time.... Does it occur under Vista? we will see if Microsoft copied past some old codes.

5. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Yes and no. I opened 68 windows and it slowed down a lot, took ages and the start bar and explorer windows started doing some very odd stuff, but I could still close them without slowdown. I'm typing this just after I closed the last one.

6. EmJay

EmJay What's a Dremel?

Yeah, it happens in Vista. It doesn't cut off after opening a certain number of windows, either - it'll go until it crashes. (Well, it did a few months ago. It may be patched by now.) It's fun to bluescreen the demo machines in electronics stores and watch the salespeople panic.

Edited to add: Ramble beat me to it. Listen to him, folks.

7. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I left mine opening windows for about 5 minutes. It was still working, but still opening new windows; so very slow and unresponsive.

I didn't get an out of memory error, but i couldn't open task manager and logging off just tried to close the windows but they were unresponsive, so I had to cold reboot.

8. mikealex

mikealex What's a Dremel?

Some of these are pretty good! I'm in computer tech classes all day at school, so this could create some fun to some otherwise boring classes :)

and I sit near the teacher's desk ;) hehehe

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

when the computer is turned off remove the power cord so it is only there by a little bit so it looks like its connected, then turn of the power on the button on the power supply if possible, then slightly remove the ethernet cable so it is slightly in but does not make contact, and then switch the order of the usb connections or connect them to other ports.

effect: random panic

edit: putting this as the homepage and putting the volume on maximum.

http://www.funfreepages.com/flash/seal_sabotage.html

Last edited: 28 Oct 2007
  10. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

program the space bar as a hotkey for the CD eject

11. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

or a fire...

12. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I remember at school lots of people used to take out the mouse balls in the library, going one better than that I once took out the ball from the librarians mouse, and then pulling out one of the little wheels inside so that it could only detect one axis and then replacing the ball. That was funny :p

Also, if your at school and use RM computers: In MS Word the open window for some reason lets you browse deeper into the network and your hard drive than you should be able to. Switch file type to all files and have a peek around and you will eventually find a lovely program called RM tutor, right click and choose send to desktop, it will create a shortcut. Great fun can be had with it. We took over a whole classroom once :p
    Be warned though, if you've got a clued up computer guy, he will be able to find out which computer is in control, so make sure your not logged in as yourself. Most RM systems have a guest account usually set to username: guest and password: password. Again, that does depend on the tech guy's capability's as it is easily changed.
    If you can't get to the RM tutor program through your account you can also try the old favourite for finding out passwords and remove the tab key's little rubber nubbin inside the keyboard so that when a teacher tries to log in you just take an inconspicuous look over their shoulder as they type their user name followed by their password in the same box without realising that pressing tab hasn't changed the box like usual.

13. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Another thing with RM computers (I'm not sure if this has been fixed yet). A lower privilege account (admin/teacher) can create accounts with higher privileges than their own.
    Also, the computers run at low frequencies probably to stop heat buildup, if you can get into the BIOS (password usually just RM) then you can overclock the things by like 10-20% with no ill effects.

14. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Yes! :D We had so much fun with this at school. We used to look for computer rooms with just one or two people in them and then do things like put messages on all the idle computer screens from another room.

15. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I once tip-exed all over my friends keyboard so he couldn't see which key he was typing.

When asked why, I told him I was encouraging him to touch-type.

16. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I used to fiddle with the RM system too, but I grew out of it when the school started using an electronic portable registry system called BromCom. I had soo much fun stealing those from teachers, breaking them, stealing passwords, changing things and giving myself classes off.

Man, I was actually a bit of a ******* when I think about it...

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

was?

bit?

:confused:

18. JCG

JCG What's a Dremel?

Just rearrange the keys, no damage and the same fun. They do this alot on my school. It's even more hilarious when they are watching to see your reaction and you don't even notice. :blush:

19. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

At a LAN once I made a batch file that shutdown the persons computer. I then proceeded to make his desktop icons link to that script(while maintaining their original icon image). It wasn't too hard to fix, but it was great the first few times before he realized what had happened!

And that is why you either lock your computer or don't talk on the phone for more then 10 minutes at a LAN party!

20. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Switch the M and N keys with each other, and the - and = keys with each other.