1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Computer Network Technician

Discussion in 'General' started by DivineSin, 28 Dec 2007.

1. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

So basically I want to go to school to become a Computer Network Technician. I think it would be a good idea as I get paid well and I've had experience with computers for almost ten years now (Sadly only under XP/Vista, I really would like to learn Linux but don't know where to start). Anyway, on to my question. Since I basically want to make this my career and I want to do good at it, is there any reading I should look up on before I sign up for courses?

Also, do I absolutely need to go to a good school, or would any decent college be good? I was thinking either ITT Tech or St Petersburg College but haven't really looked into the schools yet. If anyone lives near Tampa and has experience with the schools down here, please chime in.

2. Geektechnica

Geektechnica Minimodder

I'd stay away from ITT Tech if you can. They aren't BAD per se, but you'd be much better off with a "real" degree from a local college. ITT has some good classes, but I know a lot of people who've been there, and I even looked into it myself before. If somewhere down the line you decide you want to continue your education elsewhere it can be very difficult/impossible to get many colleges to accept credits from ITT because they are not regionally accredited.

In short: You get what you pay for.

If I were in your shoes, I'd look into your local state/community college. In the meantime try and find an entry level job doing network support, employers look for experience before degrees and certifications.

Which brings up another topic, while you're attending college, look into getting a few certifications. They can't hurt, and are a good way to get your foot in the door to get you the experience you need. A+ and Network+ are a good place to start.

3. DivineSin

Yea, I've heard about ITT Tech and how it can be difficult to transfer credits and whatnot. Which Is why I was thinking about just going to St Petersburg College or maybe even USF if I can get my car fixed up enough to make the ride. Can you take courses for a Network Technician and A+ as well?

4. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

The Cisco Networking Academy offers instruction just about everywhere, even online if a classroom is not your preferred learning environment; but the classroom will offer the benefit of hands-on practice scenarios. The CCNA (Cisco Certified Networking Associate/Amateur) and CCNP (Cisco Certified Networking Professional) are the industry's standard certifications. These should cover your bases when dealing with general corporate intranetwork maintenance. Network security is a third step up as a CCSP (Cisco Certified Security Professional), which I don't know whether it is offered online anymore at this certification level. The last security-related certification is the expert-level CCIE Security (Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert - Security). Bear in mind that these certifications should be attained in conjunction with a relative College education.

A university degree is not mandatory in the network security industry. Large employers (banks, in particular) will usually only be looking at your history of past employers and contact them for reference, and your industry standard certifications (and re-certifications if you are in the industry long enough). Apprenticeships are definitely a good idea to familiarize yourself with the environments you'll be working with (usually not much different from what you learn in class). This field is usually a contract-only employment type. While the contracts can range from one month to 2 years, the pay is very high (from $50 to $150 per hour), and they have the option of hiring you full-time after a satisfactory contract if job security is a concern. The whole process may sound complicated to you, but the knowledge and experience is cumulative over time in the field--it's what really counts.

**edit: I earned my CCNA cert during high school and it's not really hard at all albeit a little mundane and boring. I can't speak on behalf of the certs beyond that, but they get expensive and much more difficult, from what I've been told.

Last edited: 30 Dec 2007
  5. DivineSin

Alright, thanks. When you talk about looking for an apprenticeship I suppose you mean to get an internship somewhere? This is all pretty new to me. Do they list those in the paper anywhere or do you have to go call companies and ask if they have any internships available?

6. JCG

JCG What's a Dremel?

(Sorry a small derail in the topic, but DivineSin may also find it useful to know)

Would a CCNA certificate be very useful? I'm getting the first 2 chapters at as a part of my education. I'm thinking of doing the last two 2 chapter on my own and get the certificate, but this will cost me money (being a student money is not something I have allot of). If it's useful I don't mind spending it, but if employer don't care about it I'd rather not spend it.

As for the starting with Linux bit: Damn Small Linux can run as a program in Windows. So if it gets too scary ALT + TAB and you back in Windows. There are probably a hunderd other distro who can do this. Another tip about Linux, don't ask advice which distro to use, last time I did that I got 5 answers all saying a different distro :hehe:

7. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

just a side note, I used to work in retail repair, and every fool that came in with an A+ both 1. Knew ASS about computers and 2. thought they were THE authority on PCs. We kept one. Thought he knew everything. I remember showing him my watercooled AMD64 and he asked how many times a day it quit working, since it was overclocked. I showed him my uptime, which was 4 months and counting, on a 1000 MHz OC using CnQ to dynamically change clocks and radiator fan speed. He swore up and down it was impossible to do that stably. That thing didn't die until Hurricane Katrina. I would have STILL had it if not for that.

8. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

lol, thats awsome.

9. Geektechnica

Geektechnica Minimodder

While it is true that the A+ is very simple, and practically anyone with even a limited knowledge of PCs can get one with a little studying, It is still a worthwhile certification. Just because every good tech out there knows that A+ doesn't mean much these days, it doesn't mean than HR personel and hiring managers know that. A+ is still a good way to get your foot in the door at a job where you might not otherwise make it in. It also can act as a stepping stone towards bigger and better things (for example my A+ and Network+ together counted as the elective towards the MCSA certification.) So don't discount A+ out of hand just because it is "easy," there are still things you can learn by studying up for A+ that you may not have come across in your personal experience.

10. DivineSin

Would you recommend getting the A+ and Network+ certifications before going to get an actual degree or would you just do it all at once?

11. Geektechnica

Geektechnica Minimodder

Don't put off your degree to get a couple certifications, do it along the way. The basic computer classes you'll be taking at the beginning of your coursework will easily cover most A+ material and once you get started on the networking stuff you should be able to set aside a few days to read through a good Network+ book, take a couple practice tests, and then go nail the exam on your day off.

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

if ever you take the cisco CCNA 'class', don't forget to check the net for exams answers haha

We found all of them for CCNA1 and they were all exactly right, except the final exam which was different

13. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

I'm a tech and I have to say IT is not a market I would be getting into now if I was young, there are too many people in the market and salaries are falling now. I wold pick a good trade something like plumber or gas fitter etc. A prime example is that we have 2 people on the helpdesk with MA in computer subjects (one in network security and I forget the other) that couldn't get other jobs, one had been looking over a year.
    Having IT as a hobby and doing it as a job are two separate things that should not be mixed, at first its great but after a while it grates on you and you begin to lose focus and interest.

14. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Next to all of the above, I'd set up a server at home/dorm to experiment.
    I did that a long time ago and it is pays in my current job (main job is not IT).

15. DivineSin

Where do you live? I am confused as others above/people I have spoken to irl have said it is a good career to get into at the moment.

16. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

I'm in London in the UK, the market it might be different where you are but I doubt it. Maybe I'm a grumpy old sod but I would not go into IT nowdays and a few people at work have said similar.

17. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I've also heard from many sources that now is a great time to start working because the baby boomers are getting old and near retirement. This means that I will get all the promotions , woooohooo :D

18. Geektechnica

Geektechnica Minimodder

It really depends on where you focus your experience. It is true that helpdesk technicians are a dime a dozen these days, but the industry for competent hands-on IT people is still going strong.

19. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Edit: Nevermind. Just realized that what I said pretty much has been said already. Move along - nothing to see here.

-monkey

20. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I'd totally agree with this, 1st Line support is now low-pay and low status. Once you get passed that stage there are plenty of career options.

London seems swamped with the lower level IT staff, but many other places in the UK still have shortages so wages are pretty decent.

Tags: