1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Computer Stuttering, dropping wireless, weird sound etc.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Tibby, 28 Apr 2012.

1. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Hi all,

So I have been having this issue for a while, and I can't seem to find out what the smeg is causing it.

Basically my computer will randomly stutter, with the mouse freezing for less than a second every 2 secs, and the audio making a weird sound at the same time. The wireless also drops when this happens, and stays dropped for about 30 seconds to a minute. This is highly annoying when playing internet games.

I also get BSOD's now and then, and randomly Mozilla crashes a lot more than expected. Also sfc will cause Windows to BSOD somewhere in the process (not at the same percentage each time).

I have tried disabling the on-board Realtek sound card, and have also tried updating my M4 SSD firmware (as I thought it could all be coming from an issue with the SSD, as firefox and Windows are both on it).

My hardware:
    Mobo: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
    CPU: i5 2500k
    GFX: MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 580
    RAM: 8:00GB Crucial (Can't remember which, has blue heat spreaders)
    HDD: Crucial M4 128GB
    2nd HDD: 1TB Samsung
    Wireless: Edimax PCI Wireless N
    PSU: Antec HCP 750W

Any help is massively appreciated. I'm thinking I might have to just re-format and go from scratch but I figured some Bit-Techers might recognise the symptoms. :thumb:

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I would start off with running memtest first before formatting. It's also worth checking that the Intel chipset and storage drivers are up to date. Easiest way to do this is to run Intel's Driver Update Utility :)

3. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

First thing I would do would be check everything is up to date and has no viruses/malware then memtest it, if that fails then we most probably have a RAM issue, then would intel burn test it, run it for ~15 passes at maximum if it BSOD's then either a CPU, RAM or OC issue.

Also try checking your HDD/SSD for errors etc. If all of these come back clean install sounds like the best issue as probably a borked windows install.

4. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

I think I may of found the fault, I had numerous sound drivers, and I disabled the 4 nvidia sound drivers leaving the realtek enabled and not an issue since!

5. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Hmm, so I stopped the sound/stuttering issue. But I still get the firefox crashes, and randomly windows defender crashed...

6. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

try driver sweeper, can find it on guru 3d.. run it in safe mode and remove all the nvidia stuff

now reinstall in windows and don't install that hd audio driver..

the random crashes of ff and defender sound like hardware errors.. you might need to start from scratch with stability testing

airflow, cpu/chipset/gpu re-tim, ect..

7. Deders

Deders Modder

Before you do that, try disabling hardware acceleration in firefox.

8. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Right, I'm also getting BSODs with Memory Management issues and something to do with Pagefile.

Googling leads this to be a RAM issue, so I think I'll run a more thorough Memtest with one stick at a time.