1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer wont post with ram in A1 slot

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Noori88, 17 Dec 2008.

1. Noori88

Noori88 What's a Dremel?

Hi all,
    I bought a Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard from scan that came today. Running it with Corsair xms2 ram, pentium D processor, 8800GT card. The computer posts and runs fine with a either slot of the ram (i have 2 1gb sticks) in the B1 slot, but doesnt post or beep with either in the A1 slot, ive tried pressing it down hard, making sure its sat comfortably, but its not working. Theres only 2 slots on this motherboard. Is there anything I can do about this or should i return the board to scan?
    Has anyone had experience on returning items to scan?

Thanks.

2. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I would rma it. At the very worst it should still let you into the bios.
    Will it start with just one stick of ram?

3. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

You might need to RMA it. I dled the manual and took a real quick look. There are some restrictions on the types of Ram that can be used, but since you can use the same ram in the other slot, it seems likely Slot A is bad somehow. Check the manual specs to be sure, and maybe try Asus tech support, or else just get Scan to RMA it, and hope you don't have the same problem with the next one.

Last edited: 18 Dec 2008
  4. Noori88

Noori88 What's a Dremel?

It runs fine and posts with no errors with the XMS2 ram in the B1 slot, but not in the A1 slot, and the manual says that it is compatible so thats not the issue. I'll phone asus but im pretty sure it must just be a dead motherboard. Cheers for your help guys.

Are scan good with RMA's?