1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Concealing Computers on a Network

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Promethus, 7 Dec 2011.

1. Promethus

Promethus What's a Dremel?

Just a quick check!

I have 3 computers at work, connected to the network for internet access. I want these 3 computers to be able to see one another and be able to share files between them; but I do not want them to be visible or accessible by any of the other computers at work. Am I right in assuming that if I change the workgroup on each of the computers to something other than the default, and select either a Home or Work network type that they will only be visible to each other and not the rest of the computers on the network?

The three computers are running Windows 7 Pro and Windows Home Server.

Thanks in advance.

2. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

The way windows networking protocols are designs is that all computers on the same LAN will see each other and will announce them selves. You will either need to change this configuration, but the computers will still be obviously there if any one looks in any depth. Alternativly physically separate the networks with a NAT router or similar.

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

You'll need a router or hardware firewall to "hide" them.
    The router or firewall will be visible on the network but that's it.

4. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

5. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

The only real way of doing this is a virtual LAN, set up at the switch. A VLAN is a separate part of the network that acts like it's own network. You need to be careful setting it up as you still need the computers to be able to access the internet and any other global servers.

6. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I second this, vLAN is what you need. You can set it up with managed switches or some router's support it.

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i'm saying nothing, because you shouldn't be hiding your machines on a business network, if you have permission thats different, but network admins don't like hidden machines.