1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Concept - Duplicity Sketchup plans

Discussion in 'Modding' started by obzelite, 30 Jul 2005.

1. obzelite

obzelite What's a Dremel?

With the purchase of a psone screen plans are now goin ahead.

two pcs in one case, one windows one linux.
    screen will be used as the second screen for windows or via internal kvm the screen for linux.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the two bays underneath the dvd drive are for removable drives and i have 5 drives that will be internal. all up just over a terabyte of storage.
    Four fans will draw air in and over the drives, keeping the drives cool in my current case is done the same way, without the fan the drives get too hot to touch

i'd welcome any suggestions

2. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Nice sketches,... larger though!

3. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

i love the conept, ive seen motherboards stacked in a case, but never reversed back to back, very cool concept, i love the idea of dual os's running at the same time via two motherboards, you are constructing the case from scratch right, very very nice concept, how are you going to do the cdrom parts?, one optical drive for the windowz and one for the linux part?

4. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

Thats cool :) Larger pics tho please. what are the dimensions of that case?

5. obzelite

if you click on the images they should load up larger, thought i would save some bandwidth since i'm on a modem at the moment.

thanks for the reminder, i hadn't even considered it.
    I have duel opticals now, so i'll just have to make room for an extra one.
    The basics of the case will be from scratch, at the moment i'm trying to find a cheap case that has a removable motherboard tray, i have some random cases that could be cut up, but if i can make it easy i will.

haven't quite nailed down dimensions, its going to be slightly larger in every way to a normal case. But its not going to be two cases stuck together big.
    Sketchup it kinda to scale, front fan holes are for 80mm fans to give you an idea of how big i plan it to be.
    It only needs to be tall enough to accomodate the power supplies on their sides.

6. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

Yeah, but the larger images could be....erm...larger :p

Ok, dont for get it will have to accomadate card width for each mobo.

7. obzelite

This group are bigger. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've done the graphics card to scale to show how it will fit, its going right up close to the window, my only issue could be airflow, but the windoz box will prob use the 6600gt i'm using now, and the linux will prob run an old gf4 ti4600 i have collecting dust, so i dont see either card generating that much heat.
    Cpus will be AMD64, one a 3500 and the other a 3200, i have them both already.
    One board is asus the other msi.
    I have everything apart from extra ram for the msi board, a kvm and a second power supply. Well i do have extra power supplies but i'm going to get a xconnect power supply and some extra cables to mod the antec 480 i have already. Ram is going to be a pain due to the 3200 being an early core and really fussy about what ram it will work with.
    I have a feeling it might die during the next thunderstorm and get replaced by insurance.

8. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

lol your psone screen has a bosd :p

9. mpdehnel

mpdehnel What's a Dremel?

I'm amazed no-one has designed a computer with a FlatScreen monitor in the side instead of a window... (c) mpdehnel though. ;)

10. Go4t

Go4t i

11. obzelite

speaking of which.

[​IMG]

bargain price of a 100 bucks inc the psone, two controllers and 30+ games.
    screen has hardly been used because the psone was chipped and won't play ntsc games.

12. obzelite

last one for the night.
    hopefully will do some shopping in the coming days.

[​IMG]

just a better idea of what i have in mind.

13. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

yeah, i noticed that too :p

i hope you dont have any mobo mounting screws that line up, otherwise ur gonna have to work out how to attach them to each other :s

14. tweed

tweed What's a Dremel?

I am TOTALLY impressed. For about 4 years I have actively been trying/studying to find a way to get my ATX mobos to compress into super small spaces. I've spent tons of time looking into perspex/plexiglass joining, plastic boxes, searched the forums for BACK PLATES/PLANES [whatever they are called] ONLY!!! WHY does no-one make a sexy slots piece and sell it seperately...
    I mean how can we all secure our cards without proper back plates!!! I've come up with a lot of ultimately mad and unworkable ideas for securing the cards. I could just screw my boards in a box if it weren't for the cards!
    [ideas welcomed]

I have all but given up. [not!]
    I will spare everyone from a drooling ramble about how obzelite's Duplicity design starts my mind whirling.

This is SO ..um...ok you get the idea...

BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!
    nice cad work!

-----
    tweed

15. wajt

wajt What's a Dremel?

well you could just dual boot :p
    but are 4 fans really enough to cool that much stuff?

16. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

DUDE OMFGWTF!!!!, i just noticed that you used the nt bsod screen on your lcd on your case front, how comical !!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :D :D

17. obzelite

at the moment one mb, 3500amd64, 7hdd, 2 opticals plus 6600gt and an antec 480 ps are being kept cool by 5 fans.
    If i run the fans from the dedicated fan lead off the power supply it throttles back the fans so it cant be getting to warm in there.
    The fans are there mainly for the hdds, with that many drives stacked heat is a problem, and i only installed the 4 fans there already due to a couple of the drives giving me problems in summer.

finding some cheap cases with removable motherboard trays is proving a major obstacle.
    May have to make some plan changes and hack into some el cheapo ones.

18. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

Really like the idea - I assume that you have a plate inbetween the two mobos for mounting?

If Poss, I would mount some exhaust fans in the case as well. Air going in is no problem, but you have to get the hot air out though.