1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks configureing Windows server 2003

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gascan1888, 29 Sep 2006.

1. Gascan1888

Gascan1888 What's a Dremel?

I have an old Dell server; dual Pentium 3’=s, 100gb worth of scsi hdds and a tape back up. I was wondering how I can set it up so that it is a shared drive over my household network in windows server 20003 ? I’ve set up a file server but am totally clueless now. I just want to use it to share music and videos over my network and be easily able to back it up with the tape drive. Anybody know anything about server 2003. I’ve seen books 3-4" thick about it and am totally lost.

2. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

Are you running XP Pro or XP Home on the client computer(s)?

3. Gascan1888

Gascan1888 What's a Dremel?

lol. Vista, xp pro, and xp home.

4. bender386

bender386 What's a Dremel?

what about freenas its nice and easy to set up and best of all its bsd so its free :)

5. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

just share the folders, and log into them from the other boxes, disable "Simple File Sharing" on them though.

6. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

To do this in Server 2003, right click on My Computer, choose Manage. Then expand Shared Folders and Shares. Right click in the right window pane and choose new share - the wizard will pop up and you can sort out permissions etc. in the Computer Management console too.

Or simply right click on the folder you wish to share, and choose Sharing and Security.

Then on the clients, you can simply access the share(s) by typing \\servername\sharename into the run dialog box (for example).

7. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

Then if you want to map the share as a drive on the client, just right click My Computer hit Map Network Drive, and then the rest is self explanatory.

8. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Good point - saves having to retype the share name everytime you wish to access it.

Tags: