1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Confirmed: Core i7 920, 940, 950 to go "soon"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Jun 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

this is starting to be more confusing then my girlfriend/ex/girlfriend/ex :eeek:

3. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Member

Christ. Make up your minds Intel!

This constant to-ing and fro-ing is not doing any good to the consumer.

4. tejas

tejas New Member

Lol this is hilarious. All the dick swinging Core i7 owners will be shafted by Lynnfield and P55!

I have to say that Lynnfield and P55 looks very impressive and is going to give AMD a good run for its money... I wish AMD would hurry up and get an SLI chipset licence from Nvidia. AMD 790FX/GX + SLI = drool

I want another GTX285 for my Phenom!! (rant over)

Intel should have not even bothered with Core i7 for desktop and just used it for Nehalem EP. Lynnfield is da shiz tho

Oh deary me

5. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

They've never done that before :)

It makes a certain kind of sense to price X58 - the arguably more desirable platform - out of most people's reach, I think.

6. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Not really. I think all this has nothing to do with consumers, just with running AMD completely into the ground. The sole task of the 920 it seems was to pre-empt the Phenom II until lynnfield arrives. AMD almost came up for air there :nono:

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

No I wont. .. look at it swing baby!

Anyway.... Why are Intel being so tight lipped about stuff... and being sneaky. Based on what's been said, and then leaked so far, I wouldn't make ANY assumptions about lynnfield.

8. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN I want to change my name but I also don't

Goddangit Intel, make your minds up already!

9. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

Oh man, so that means in another six months my i7 rig will definately be "old".

Bummer.

I should have waited for something better, all this time I've been using an amazing, quick, stable PC. I should have kept my old rig for another year and put up with the crashes, lockups and crappy framerates for another year.

I so regret buying this wonderful PC, noone told me that its chip would be discontinued! Ok so every other chip ever made has had a finite shelf life, but I thought it was "different" this time, I thought we'd be together for ever.

Sniff...

Damn you Intel... damn you to hell

10. GFC

GFC New Member

That just makes me wonder, if i want to get nehalem - i might as well do it this year or i'll be screwed..

11. technogiant

technogiant New Member

why on earth would they develop a platform only to then severly restrict the customer base on it.......just makes no sense......anyway from what I've read previously the third memory channel doesn't make a any difference to most desktop / game applications.

12. sear

sear Guest

One of my bets is that they need to rework the Core i7 in order to get more performance out of it. It seems Core i5 may perform better than expected (and apparently overclocks like crazy), so Intel might be coming out with something even better for the enthusiast/workstation segment... but of course, also more expensive. Core i7 920 is the best price/performance processor you can currently get, and much like the Radeon 9500 Pro years ago, Intel might be afraid that they won't be able to distinguish Core i5 while still making a profit.

13. oasked

oasked Stuck in the Mud

Why are you upset? Just because i5 is coming (which we all knew about months ago) doesn't mean that your system is old. Your computer is still faster than most i5 setups will ever be and as a result is pretty damned future-proof.

If you wanted to upgrade you would have to upgrade motherboard and CPU anyway, so what's changed?

I for one am happy with my i7 setup. I get great performance and I got it 1 year earlier than Lynnfield. :D

14. Tyrmot

Tyrmot New Member

I do believe there was a touch of sarcasm in Jenny's post actually

15. brave758

brave758 New Member

I'm still tempted by a core i 7 system i don't think it will be that bad a investment. It's a server platform so if they do cut the regular core i7 chips there's always the xeons to put in there(even though they are hard to find). You'll get full crossfire/sli performance for now and a good few years to come( i hope), tri channel mem opposed to dual on the P55, and i have got my eye on the 6 core chip so why not start now with a 920 and start saving for the 6 core one now??

16. oasked

oasked Stuck in the Mud

Doh. I should read people's post properly. :p

17. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Member

Oh my God; that was amazing, oasked. I truly lmaoed.

18. lewchenko

lewchenko Member

wow...

my old P35 motherboard (socket 775 I think) has lasted a good term... taking an e6750 initially and then being upgraded to a Q9550. I would not be happy if I had bought an i7 board only to find it has a non existant upgrade path..

In my wife's machine I also upgraded hers from an AMD X2 4600 to an AMD X2 7750... so yeah.. upgrades are important I think after 2-3 years to keep the system going a bit longer if money is tight.

19. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

Intel PR: I'm Rick James B*tch

20. bogie170

bogie170 New Member

Still nothing wrong with the Core2Quads. Fast enough to do any task that an i7 can do. No plans for me to upgrade for a while yet.

Tags: Add Tags