1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Connecting a SATA drive to eSATA

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gopez, 9 Jun 2010.

1. Gopez

Gopez What's a Dremel?

I've got an internal SATA drive in my current PC which I'm back things up to to transfer to my new PC.
    The new PC has an eSATA port on the front, so to save opening the case again, what do I need to connect the SATA drive to the eSATA port? Is it just an eSATA cable or is something else needed?

Thanks for any advice!

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

You'll need a power cable, too if it's a normal 3.5" drive.

3. raxonb

raxonb Minimodder

You could turn the internal into an external by buying a 3.5" case, making sure that has an eSATA connection too.

4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I suggest to get some-sort of enclosure with eSATA port. eSATA has no power sent over it, so no mater the HDD you need to power it.

They ARE on some motherboards, Powered eSATA ports, which are actually USB + eSATA on the same port, and the support cable (with the supported enclosure) has extra pins to take the power of USB. The Cool thing about these plugs, is that you can also use it as normal USB plug (this is achievable as the pins of eSATA are opposite from the USB plug).
    Anyway, the powered eSATA ports can power up, like USB external drives, small laptop drives.
    You will need the proper supported enclosure for this.

Do I have powered eSATA?
    Simple to check, try and insert a USB memory key inside. If it fits, you have it, else no.

eSATA devices works exactly like USB, they are hot swappable.

NOTES:
    - To use eSATA properly, provide NCQ support AND hot swappable, you need to change your SATA mode in your computer BIOS to AHCI (SATA or IDE won't support it).

- If your BIOS SATA controller not set to AHCI you will need to re-install your Windows else it won't boot.

- XP doesn't support SATA properly nor eSATA properly. Depending on your controllers, you may not have the hot swappable feature working.

If you have a lot of HDD you can get something like this:
    http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=43916&vpn=SATADOCKU2E&manufacture=Startech.com Ltd
    You put the HDD like a Nintendo game cartridge. PLEASE READ review, teh above is not a recommendation but an example of the device.
    This particular model has USB and eSATA support, so that you can attach it to system who don't have eSATA on them.

eSATA is LITERARY the SATA port inside your computer, but the plug is shape differently where it was design to hold better all while being easy to plug and remove.
    eSATA has no disk size limitation. If you view a product where it mentions a size limit of HDD, it's most likely that this the biggest size of HDD tested with the enclosure by the company. Check the manufacture website for updated.

Last edited: 9 Jun 2010
  6. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

You don't need to reinstall Windows to change to AHCI mode.

See here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Also, install your motherboard's proper SATA/RAID/AHCI drivers in Windows - rather than the Windows default drivers - before the change in the BIOS.

E.g., Intel ICH9R for my Gigabyte X48-DQ6 - check your motherboard manufacturer's page for your product.

7. Gopez

Gopez What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the advice everyone!

In the end I decided to just open the case again and temporarily install the HDD to copy the files off it.

Tags: