1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks connecting a win 3.1 machine to a xp network..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigal, 22 Aug 2005.

1. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

basically i have a win 3.1 / dos machine in my garage running a CNC router and i need a way to get files i make (gcode) from my xp network to the 3.1 machine. ATM i use floppys but it is just getting annoying now as i keep leaving the floppies in the garage, i now have nil here, and my pc (xp) is like at the other end of the building... the switch though is wight by the garage... so is it possible to get files transfered? :sigh:

2. markit

markit What's a Dremel?

Its such a long time but i think windows 3.1 doesn't have windows networking incorporated but it might have tcp/ip (windows 3.11 definately does).

In which case your best bet is to find an old ISA Network card (do they even make them any more?), link it up and install drivers, then install a ftp server on your windows xp machine like filezilla (http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/), and fetch files using that.

3. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

the pc isnt that old, a 200mhz MMx. quite capaple of running 98 but it needs dos for the software running the machine (turboCNC) anyway, the card i can use is a RTL8139(A/B/C/D/8130)/810X PCI series based card, which drivers for DOS exist, mainly for MSclient,Lantastic,Lanman and Norton Ghost.
    looking into Lantastic ATM..

4. kilobyte

kilobyte What's a Dremel?

does windows xp have a way to convert your files to fat 16? if it does i don't see why you should not beable to then

5. Henchman:crg

Henchman:crg What's a Dremel?

Have you tried running the Dos software in Windows 98?
    There's a very good chace it will work.

Aslo, I doubt the issue of fat16 or fat32 would cause a problem when running this Dos software, as it's probably using bios interrupt calls to handle files anyway, and the bios calls are backwards compatible, although it has been a long time since I have tried this.

6. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

you can connect dos to a network so i imagine it prob is posible with 3.1 but prob alot of playin about needed with settings its hard enuf gettin 95/98 and xp to talk properly all the time

take a read at this tho
    http://www.computing.net/windows31/wwwboard/forum/10423.html

is it win 3.11 workgroups?

7. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

if u do it tell me how i have win 3.1 os on floppys at hoem and an old p1 133 overclocked to 166!!!!! wouldnt mind connecting it up for a laugh

Tags: