1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics connecting two keyboards to one PC (PS2 only)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bigal, 27 Jun 2006.

1. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

Hi,
    i have just bought a barcode scanning system as part of my computing project for college, but it is ps2 and does not have a follow through connector to plug my ps2 keyboard in (so i am hot swaping them atm).

Is there any way to connect a ps2 keyboard and ps2 barcode scanning system to one port. it is not a keyboard wedge type scanner (thats the prob).
    I am thinking that i can just splice the power , clock and data lines together as it is the keyboard that does the clocking not the computer, but i know the comptuer can take the data and clock ports low to send data... so i am not sure. Is it possible?

btw i have googled but only found splitters for laptops..

2. Stonewall78

Stonewall78 What's a Dremel?

Just use a ps2 to usb converter I use one at the office for our scanner, they should also be pretty cheap.

3. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Go to USB Converter

Scroll down to item 7 and that should do the trick!

Last edited: 27 Jun 2006
  4. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

The link just seems to redirect back to this thread? Just me?

Ah its ok now, a while since I checked this thread...

Last edited: 2 Jul 2006
  5. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

You could plug it into your Mouse PS/2 port, because despite it being a different color it's also PS/2 and it doesn't really matter which one goes where.

6. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

hmm, i ideally want to keep this as a ps2 based system, as far as i can see it should be possible to simple daisy chain them together... just wondering if anyone has tried this at all?.

7. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Why PS/2 only? Unless your system is Socket 370 or older it doesn't really matter where your mouse or keyboard are plugged in.

8. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

First time I installed my mobo I got mouse & kb plugs swapped, refused to boot. Keyboard error check in BIOS. But something else in the mouse PS2 may be OK.

9. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

i dont think you can splice those cables, it probably requires some circuitry to schedule packets of data and such, i dont think those cables are plain, or they are wired specially ... im not sure ... cant you just buy 1 of the cables ?

10. bender386

bender386 What's a Dremel?

can you swap the keyboard for a usb one.
    and i dont think that the mouse port and the keyboard port are the same. they are very simular but i think there is a difference somewhere.

do you know if its possible to get a pci card with ps/2 on it???

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

But barcode readers act as keyboards. Not quite traditional for typing, but they read the input (much like a keystroke) and spit out text.

Electronically the ports are the same - it'd be a bios/firmware/software issue if there is one.

Either plug the barcode reader into the mouse's PS/2 socket, buy a cheap USB->PS/2 adaptor or buy a cheap USB keyboard. You're not going to find a PCI card to do that.

I wouldn't try splicing... just seems like a bad idea.

12. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

13. yahooadam

except on that product
    and he said the scanner is just like a keyboard, so that probably wont work ....

14. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

two mice isn't the same as two keyboards...two mice would be havok (fight over the cursor, hehe)
    but yeah, those cables are exactly what we used and it worked fine, so i don't see any problems there

15. agent420

agent420 What's a Dremel?

I agree. I did some reserach on PS2 when I hacked a touchpad (thread), and mice require several unique parameter values that prevent multiple devices on the same bus easily. However, the communication used by keyboards is rather simple and I think you could parallel them without much of an issue.

I'd say that cable linked above is nothing more than splicing the data and signlas lines as was suggested in the original post.

16. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

USB Mouse is going to be the cheapist option Id think :)

17. elctroJunky

elctroJunky What's a Dremel?

What about, just do it and see what happens? (no risk no fun, or doing it is better than studing it!)
    And if this doesn't work, u're already hotswapping keyboard and scanner by hand... why not let a switch do that for you?
    Just take an appropiate switch or some relais and let them switch the lines from keyboard to scanner... (just be lazy and think DIY)

18. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

i am trying to think of what damage splicing the power, ground, clock and data lines could do... apart from the kboard being low n scanner being high, which could cause a problem... i know the kboard has pullups and is sopposed to accept data in from the pc but still, could lead to interesting problems.

atomic, how is a usb mouse going to even be an option...?
    agent420 and firehead i agree 100%.
    sebo i have seen those y connectors but they are all for joining a keyboard and mouse to the one single ps/2 port that old lappies had, they have peculear wiring in them...

usb keyboard is an option i am trying to avoid as i want to be able to take this to college and usb stuff it a bitch due to driver installing issues...

19. yahooadam

but what happens if the scanner and keyboard send data all the time, or if they try to send at the same time as the other
    then the data line would be all scrambled because both would be trying to send data

20. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

I suggest just trying it out by splicing the wires together. Or just get a PS/2 Cuecat off ebay, follow a hack online that makes you solder one wire to two points and then the data will be regular barcode readings. They have the Y built on them already too. I have two of the Cuecats hacked and they work fine.