1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 Connecting Xbox 360 to Xbox Live through PC

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PortalBen, 2 Jan 2010.

1. PortalBen

PortalBen Member

Hi everyone, I have another Xbox 360 question:

Is it possible to connect an Xbox 360 to Xbox live through your PC by plugging it into an ethernet port on the motherboard?

Thanks

2. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I think it is, you have to bridge connections and share internet or something.

LMGTFU

3. PortalBen

PortalBen Member

Thanks, how would I do that?

4. PortalBen

PortalBen Member

Damn, didn't notice the spelling mistake in the thread title. :wallbash:

Yeah, I meant to say 'connecting' :D.

5. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

Yes its possible.

6. GingerFox

GingerFox New Member

You need wireless in your pc/laptop aswel as ethernet. Once they are both connected highlight them both, right click and select 'bridge connections' and it should work, although you wont ever get the fully open nat settings *shrug* no biggie

PortalBen likes this.
  7. PortalBen

PortalBen Member

Yeah, my PC has wireless. I use a wireless N card and a wireless N router. I just don't want to fork out for a wireless adaptor for the 360.

What will not having fully open nat settings do? Will it affect any performance?

Cheers

8. GingerFox

GingerFox New Member

Er games like halo 3 will just nag at you, supposed to make connecting to other players harder, but aslong as its not closed nat it will be fine:)

And i know those adaptors are stupidly expensive

9. PortalBen

PortalBen Member

Right, thanks. I'm tempted to get a PS3 instead, really not sure though. What do I need to connect a 360 to my monitor?

10. GingerFox

GingerFox New Member

Gah no! ps3's are the devils work...just kidding. But i can't cope with the controllers having to bend my thumbs backwards. Depends on what connection you have for your monitor? VGA DVI or HDMI. You just need the correct cable...the sound however is a different issue, seens how neither vga dvi or hdmi normally carry sound to a monitor due to there lack of speakers you will have to have seperate speakers. And if you want to use HDMI you will need to component cable in aswel albiet modded slightly so that it fits with the HDMI so you can use the component sound on speakers, its a chore i know.

11. PortalBen

PortalBen Member

My monitor has VGA and HDMI, I use VGA for my PC. I'm not keen on PS3 controllers either. Not so much the analogue sticks, but the trigger buttons are terrible. Still, free interwebs, inbuilt wireless and Blu-ray.

Not so sure about exclusives for either though. So far, the only one I care about is Alan Wake for the 360. Not entirely sure though as I say :D

12. GingerFox

GingerFox New Member

Oh right, do you not have either then yet?

Yeah the ps3 has alot of benifits, and i'd probably recomend it if your after some gaming and a bluray player, but if its just gaming xbox360. Just my thoughts on the matter. And i can't comment on the games because i havn't played on mine in about 3 months...pc gaming is the way forward:p

13. PortalBen

PortalBen Member

Yeah, I'm mainly a PC gamer, I've got craploads of games for my computer. It's just that some games don't come out for PC (Alan Wake), some are released later (Assassin's Creed 2) and some are really poorly optimised (Saints Row 2).

14. GingerFox

GingerFox New Member

Yeah i know what you mean, get one nice and cheap off ebay, then you dont lose out too much if you don't like it:)

15. PortalBen

PortalBen Member

PS3 perhaps, but I wouldn't buy a 360 from anyone other than a proper retailer. That way I can get it fixed when (not if, lol) it fails.

I had a 360 before but wasn't keen because I was using it to play the sort of games that should be played on a PC. Now though, there are quite a few games that are either exclusive to consoles or better on them that I really want.

16. GingerFox

GingerFox New Member

Good point i guess about the xbox, the newer ones seem to be sound though.

17. alastor

alastor Well-Known Member

I run my 360 in to my monitor; pick up a HDMI>DVI cable from ebay for a couple of quid. As for the sound, in Microsoft's infinite wisdom they designed the rear layout so that you cannot use an HDMI cable and the standard AV cable (to carry the sound) at the same time.

Now you have a couple of options:
    • Do like I did first - buy a spare unofficial AV cable and remove the plastic around the connector. This allows enough space for both plugs like so.
    • Do like I have now - buy an audio breakout box. These have a slimline plug leading to optical and RCA stereo connectors. My unofficial box was very cheap compared to the official ones and I got a free HDMI>HDMI cable to boot.

With the hacked AV cable I used a stereo RCA female>3.5mm mini jack male in to the line-in on my computer - properly amplified stereo speakers. As the breakout box has female plugs, if you use that then you need a stereo RCA male>3.5mm cable. If your motherboard has optical in (unlikely these days) or your speakers have then you could use that with either solution.

This might help with the wireless bridging if you still need that:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-your-laptop-as-an-XboxXbox-360-wireless-adap/

18. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I wish I hadn't been desperate to get my xbox working with sound, could have saved myself £12. Oh well.

19. PortalBen

PortalBen Member

Thanks a lot man, this has been really helpful. :D

One thing though: why do I need a DVI to HDMI converter when my monitor doesn't have a DVI port?

Also, would I be able to use a USB headset?

Thankss to everyone who has replied :)

20. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

IF your monitor has a HDMI port then you can go HDMI-HDMI.

USB headsets... Plugged into what? Your Xbox.. No.
    Xbox headsets are mono and are only used for speaking.