1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering building a HTPC, Q/A?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joosh, 1 Apr 2008.

1. Joosh

Joosh What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, recently I've been considering building a HTPC, purely to reduce the amount of junk in my rooms.

Realistically what I want is something that can:

- Be Remote Controlled (for those days when I don't feel like moving xD)
    - Plays Television
    - Plays Music/Video from the HDD
    - Plays DVD's
    - Play a console system connected to it.

Basically I just want to be able to do everything or near everything on the one machine, which I would like to have remote controlled, is this feasible or is it not? And if so, what am I looking at component-wise?

Also if it helps at all, I am based in Australia and don't really wish to source parts from overseas.

Thanks in advance,

Josh

EDIT:

Just thought that I would add, that I don't really want it to look like a PC, half the point of a HTPC for me is that it just looks like a amp/dvd etc xD.

2. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Looks entirely feasible to me. Are you looking to play a console through your computer which will then output to the tv? Everything else is fairly standard and can be accomplished a variety of ways, the easiest being XP media center or using vista (ultimate includes full media center functionality). There are a wide variety of cases available that include media center compatible remote controls that integrate well with both your computer and windows. Silverstone and zalman both provide high quality htpcs with remote controls and displays included. Alternatively you can purchase a case by itself and add a remote display combo such as those sold by vl system.

3. Joosh

Joosh What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the reply mate, very helpful post :)

To clear a few things up, I don't even have a console at the moment, it's just a feature I would like to have incase I decide to purchase one down the track, and I'm sort of against Vista, at the moment, the way I figure it is when Microsoft release their next OS, Vista will be ready to use :p.

4. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

Have you used Vista for an extensive time to come to that conclusion?! If not, I dare you to, if you have, at least you are giving an informed point of view. Take a look at this thread, it will be helpful in seeing what sort of hardware others are using.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

If you want both a games console and a media center, You can buy a digital TV tuner for the PS3 soon, which will allow it effectively to double as one. Might save you a lot of hassle.

Otherwise, several things must be considered:

Hardware:

- this needs to be silent rather than extremely powerful, so you want to adopt a different philosophy from building a games rig. Look at cool running components. These usually also use less power, which is a consideration too for a device that will effectively be in S3 standby most of the time. Consider Pentium mobile CPUs and motherboards and no more than a lower-range graphic card.

- look for large capacity (that HDTV content really eats space) cool and quiet harddrives, rather than fast ones. Check out the Western Digital GreenPower WD10EACS.

- Ignore the Viiv label. It means nothing. Do look for motherboards that have been designed with HTPCs in mind, however; they often have the appropriate integrated sound and graphics.

- Unless you hook your HTPC up to a TV with its own tuner, get a dual TV-tuner card such as the WinTV Nova-T-500. This way you can watch one channel and record another (or record two, while watching pre-recorded content).

Software:

I'm not going to try and convince someone whose opinion is based on prejudice, but Windows Vista Media Center (available in Home Premium and up) would be my choice. Else there are free Windows-based options such as Media Portal or GB-PVR. There are LINUX options as well such as MythTV.

6. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Vista media center is very good. There's always MCE 2005 if you're dead against Vista for whatever non-reason, but it's just not as nice.

The MCE remote works very well.

7. Dev25

Dev25 What's a Dremel?

Like Nexxo said u can get a tuner for the ps3 which records to the hard drive, also you get a remote, u can always put linux on it for playing files etc (PS3 can do this as well in the XMB), the ps3 web browser can stream vids (I think it Inc. DivX, XviD).

ALso Its A Console

plus its cheaper

(PS. If you do go for this option make sure u get another HD),

If you have a psp there some really good features coming soon such as copying a movie from disc to Sd and send to psp. also play tv (TV TUNER) works with the psp

EDIT: LINK
    Seems that play tv has 2 tuners and is HD

Last edited: 1 Apr 2008