1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering selling up the PC and going console - am I an idiot?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Mister_Tad, 2 May 2008.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Will be getting a Dell XPS M1330 to replace it: T8300, 4GB, 320GB, 8400. More than enough power for anything but gaming and should last a good while longer now that I won't give a toss about graphics :p. Could get away with a bit less, maye a less specced 15" for around £500, but my laptop atm is probably due for replacement too, so this does both in one fell swoop.

The laptop I currently use all the time is around 6 years old, still going strong (1.7 Dothan, 1GB, 100GB and amazingly has the same battery life as day one :confused: ) but I would need something with a bit more juice for image editing, which is the only thing I do other than gaming that needs a bit more than the old one.

2. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

i would say buy a console first then if you dont like it you still have your pc, i went down this road and bought a 360 and after the novalty wore off i went back to the pc and my 360 now sits under my 50" plasma hd tv gathering dust, some prefer consoles and some pc its all a matter of choice and for me i just dont like playing games like cod4 with a pad, the only game i played on both was gears of war and after the 360 the pc was a joy to be able to aim with some degree of speed

3. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I used to be in the same boat - upgrading my PC fairly often (although without spending quite as much as you!) - but for me, it just wasn't worth it. I prefer games on a console, and it's less hassle and cheaper. It was really a no-brainer for me, but this was a personal decision. I say go for it, unless you think deep down that you're a PC gamer at heart.

4. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

Great minds think alike?

I'm currently thinking about it as well. Although tbh I have no idea how much my PC would fetch if I was to sell it. I too have a laptop so I could still use that and it can play some games on it! I would keep my 24" Dell monitor to game on though!

5. Mister_Tad

well I've just ordered a couple 1TB drives for somewhere to dump all of my data, so the transition is under way

Was chatting about it to my mrs and apparently she has always thought the PC was a giant hole in to which money was dumped for no good reason, but left me to it thinking that it was just one of those things she was going to have to deal with :lol:

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

OK I see how this is going..
    I guess it all depends on you.
    See my computer on my signature? Well that computer purchased in Jan 06, has a Geforce 6600GT as I was waiting for the Geforce 8800 that was being delayed all the time, because ATI was never releasing theirs. As for PSU, I had fell into a bad one, just bad luck. These stuff was planed when I got my computer since day1.
    However, I won't upgrade my computer any time soon. Why? Well I do game, but I can live with XBox 360 and even a little lower, also it currently offers me all the power I need to run my applications, drawing, and programming. I do can live playing games not at extreme max setting and having the hole game playing at 600fps. Basically what I try to say is they are some people that always want the latest and greatest thing and spend a fortune on their computer. I have a powerful computer, however I paid 2k once and that is all until 2010-2012.

For me console system is always about "stuff you can't do on the computer".
    In the early days you never had graphics and quality of games like the NES or even the SNES. Now computer are so advance, plug a joystick in attach the computer to your TV like a console, and Bang you have a PS3 or XBox 360. however a Wii.... not so much. You may ask if I had a Game Cube? yes I did, that was because I wanted what other consoles and PC were lacking of FUN offline multiplier games (I don't say they did not exists, just too few)

7. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

The fact is that games developers are now not making games or fewer games for pc. So whilst we can plug joysticks into our PC's what's the point if we don't have the games to play. I know there are still alot of games out and coming out for pc but a lot of the better ones are on the consoles at the moment, there are also developers that are claiming they're not going to be making games for PC's any more, because of the torrent industry. Oh and of course we don't have people using aim bots on consoles ;)

8. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

I just realised that about mine when I wanted to spend money on something besides the computer, like my car, and I also have been considering selling mine and buying something more stagnant, like a console.

9. Mister_Tad

I realised it when I was planning an upgrade for the near future consisting of an Areca 1680, 8x 750GB Samsung F1, Lian Li V2110 and 2x VelociRaptors.

I knew I needed all of that lot, but never really stopped to think about why I needed it. Turns out the only reason is that it would be faster and better than what I have (and barely use) now :lol:

10. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

When i gave up PC gaming to move to consoles i havent looked back, i first brought my console in March 07 and since then its been going strong. Ive played every AAA title with none of the issues that comes with PC gaming. Sure i mught have spent a fair amount of cash but atlest the console work right out of the box without compatiability issues.

At the time my PC was a X2 939 rig, sure it wasnt slow but it was all made from second hand bits. As soon as i started working fulltime i decided that i'd make my machine to a decent spec without blowing silly amounts of cash or underpowering it. I sold evrything hardware componant and got myself a nice low-mid range C2D, HD3850 rig. Sure its over powered for web browsing but i wanted to play Crysis at decent rates with the minimum amount of £££ also i wanted to give a few PC games a try.

Im thinking now to even downsize even more, i simply dont do anything serious on my machine, all i would need is lots of HDD space. I think its a good idea of you selling your bits, why keep stuff you dont need?

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I currently only use a laptop and PS3, I have a big gaming PC I can use, I upgraded it when the 8800GTs came out to SLI config and just find that I never switch the thing on but am always on the PS3, I find I like sitting back on the Sofa playing on the Big TV, my PC upgrade was a bit of a waste of money really, I'm not going to get rid off it though as its worth bugger all now and something may come out that will use it, i'm sure though when that day comes my graphics cards will be out of date :rolleyes:

12. koola

koola Minimodder

Depends what games you play. A console can't beat a PC for MMO/RPG, Strategy and FPS imo. Lucky for me, WoW and SCBW/SC2 play on Macs.

13. RedDethX

RedDethX What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't say you are, as most games you probably want will come out on consoles. I'd say the only reason to keep a PC now is internet/multimedia + random games that are PC exclusive or FPS/RTS/MMOs, at least that's how I am now. PS3 and 360 are both pretty fun once you get a library going for them, as well as my good ol' PS2.

I only use my PC for music, chatting, surfing, random FPS's I have and WoW, most of the gaming I do outside of FPS/RTS/MMO, is now console based, they became too good! :p

14. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

Just saw the FS thread, and I must say, you sir have balls, and I respect that.