1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Console mod possible? or done?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by udjamaflip, 12 Sep 2005.

1. udjamaflip

udjamaflip -

Hi i'll first show my "plan" if u can call it that, and then explain....

[​IMG]

i know the design is at best sketchy but i think u get the idea that i want to put a ps2 mini and and N64(i know its ghetto but i love mario) into a case with a fully functional PC, i'm wanting to know if anyone has done something like this before or thought about/attempted it.

It will be my first real mod, and i'm aware it wont be easy. So am calling on those more experienced dremel'ers out there :dremel:

size isnt a big issue with this case but appearance will be, the main thing is the back of the box's my TV and computer monitor arent far from each other so i doubt i'd be using a TV input on my gfx to support the output on the consoles.

ah, one last thing anyone know how much a mod like this would set me back bearing in mind i have the ps2 mini/n64/pc i have a case but i dont think it will be big enough, perhaps a full size case would need to be purchased....

Dont post to flame please, i am new as u can see so helpful posts only please....

2. wajt

wajt What's a Dremel?

n64 is kinda heavy to be up there isnt it

3. Firefox90

Firefox90 What's a Dremel?

Haha I just pulled my N64 outta the basement for some retro play. It's fun stuff. The N64 is pretty damn light IMO. I am not sure if you plan on opening up the N64, but I think you will need to as it's pretty wide. You are going to need a tall case if you want to do this. I would suggest putting the PS2 on top, hanging and have the tray pop out the top all integrated and looking good. For the N64 then, I would mounted it where you planned on putting the PS2, but screw it into the mobo side of the case and have the cartridge hang out the right side of the case. I think this would be easier taking in mind the width of the N64. I would love to see this done. I was recently thinking of gutting my N64 and building an all acrylic case for it.

Edit...Use wireless controllers with the PS2. Also, make sure to cool them by having a blow hole and not letting hot air suffocate the PS2 on top.

4. jerb111

jerb111 What's a Dremel?

take the n64 and rotate it 90 degree's forward so you can stick the cartrages in the front of the tower :D

5. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

It has been done a few times before, have a search there is a guy who made an all in one console computer!

I was planning to do that with the PS2, but decided against it as I didn't have enough space. But simply, it will work. Really all you would need is to create brackets that will hold the consoles in place and cut holes for the catridges/CD. If you could allow the power to come from the PSU that would be cool too! You'll be needing a TV card that will allow two connections.

If you do it, I'll be watching!

EDIT: What you can do is grab the original PS2, take it apart and fold it, the ribbon is actually long enough, and this will fit perfectly into 3 5.25" bays, this way you can have the CD tray coming out of the front.

6. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

7. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

I knew it was only a matter of time before someone mentioned that pos in here.

As for it being possible, its 100% possible. The only problem I can see is that the n64 is too wide like someone said.

8. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

I never said it was any good :duh:

he did ask if anyone had done it before.

9. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

wasnt there someone that had a snes,n64 and a cube in the pc? i cant remember where it was but im sure there was a link on here somewhere.

*edit*
    forget it, that yoshi box is the one im thinking of.

10. lstopper

lstopper What's a Dremel?

i thought about doing this with a nes and snes.....but it was only a thought
    i would love to see this working :D

11. Firefox90

I was bored one day so I pulled out an old case and ps1 and was surprised to find the middle screws of the PS1 fit right into the two middle ATX mobo mounts.

Bad picture I know, but I thought this might give you some idea/s.
    [​IMG]

12. udjamaflip

udjamaflip -

k, well today i went to 'dismantle' my n64 to see if i could keep my original idea and try and take it to the barebone and make it fit sumhow, however if any1 else has one it appears to be rivetted shut ¬_¬ how nazi, anyway any1 else ever taken 1 apart for shits n giggles? if not i'll try and put it on its side at the front and have the ports coming out the side liek sum1 suggested before.....thanks for the ps mod idea mr. willy wonka, but unfortunately i only have a mini at my disposal, not taken that apart yet.
    any ideas for what CASE i should use? :) i'm thinking big, but not mega bucks, i have paint etc to make it look better....

13. obzelite

obzelite What's a Dremel?

yeah, i recall an xbox and ps2 into a case with a pc, both running into a tv card so you could play them on the pc screen.
    came out not long after the xbox was released.
    did a few searches on google but couldnt find the one i recall.

14. X_VADER_X

X_VADER_X What's a Dremel?

Yay Crash bandicoot!!! The last one before the serires died!!
    Anyway... Sounds like a kewl idea... but your gonna need a huge @$$ case... and got to know how to wire...

15. seebul

seebul Minimodder

now that would be a cool mod.........

16. Firefox90

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811125434

Nice solid case with a lot of potential.

BTW, the N64 isn't riveted. Nintendo used a special kind of screw, I forgot what it's called, but I know you can find info on google looking for "opening up an N64" etc. You could also try very small pliers.

17. udjamaflip

udjamaflip -

nice one firefox90 that is JUST what i was looking for :) i'll revive this thread as soon as i get it with a link to the mode commence :D

if any1 has any other tips/suggested colour schemes feel free, i'm not feeling a side window as its gonna be cluttered. perhaps some kind of funky grill pattern with well placed lighting and fans :))

18. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I think any colour scheme will do, the thing to do is stealth the consoles. What I would do is use the old PS2 and the drive tray rather than the slimline. However it's up to you.

Also, would it be possible to power the consoles off one PSU? If not...

Get a CM stacker which can hold 2 PSUs, and put in the N64, PS2 and Gamecube for one mega console computer! That would be cool! And you'll have enough space for them!

The PS2 uses 8.5v (the slimline anyway). So if you get the car adptor for the PS2 (yes, you can get them) then you can convert the 12v molex to the 8.5v with the adaptor. The N64 I'm not sure about, but if you can get some sort of transformer for it then you can power it off a PSU. Probably all off one PSU.

19. lstopper

lstopper What's a Dremel?

they use screws only made by nintendo, you could buy a gamebit driver off fleabay or make your own with a biro and lighter (it worked for me)
    http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/other/diy-gamebit.htm
    you have got me going on this now, im thinking about going ahead with the snes mod. ill keep you posted about it

20. Firefox90

Alright, I just went out in the garage and opened up my N64. What I did was take a big drill bit and make the holes much larger. I then simply used pliers to twist and pull the screws out. It took about 20 minutes because it's touch sometimes to get the pliers to grip down hard enough. Once that's done, the N64 guts come out very neatly and in quite a small package. I am guessing it could fit into a 5.25 with the actual bay cut out and you could sit in in there on some sort of mounts. I am going to try to make my own acryllic case for it. Ill keep you posted, but try enlarging the holes and using pliers (needle nose).

Ohh and on the N64 power supply/block plug, it has a diagram of the plugs running of 3.3v and 12v drawing fairly low amps.