1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Guest-18698, 20 Aug 2013.

1. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: 2 Feb 2024
    YEHBABY likes this.
  2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Yes simply don't buy them

3. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Unfortunately that's the only way we could get them to change.

4. Teelzebub

Maybe you should start a campaign to boycott them who knows I'm sure there's a lot of people that feel the same way.

Personally I reckon it would be better if we did a campaign to make the Americans pay the same as us lol

5. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

It's just a fact of life and market forces. This will be the first time I haven't bought a console 'Day One' in a long time. They are getting so much more 'PC like' in their specs that I am going to use any money I would have spent on a console upgrading my PC instead.

There used to be a distinct line between PCs and Consoles which allowed me to justify owning both, but now I am not so sure any more. Sony's PS4 looks good from a gaming perspective, while the XBOXONE is looking more and more just like a TV that plays games, but they both have a lot of extra guff that I just don't need.

6. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

LOL at a boycott. I remember everyone getting their knickers in a twist over MW2 not having dedicated servers and saying they would boycott it, then ending up looking stupid as they bought it anyway. People said they would boycott Ubisoft games because of DRM and other user unfriendly practices, but now they're petitioning them to make games available for PC.

Last edited: 21 Aug 2013
  7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It's only worth what the customers are prepared to pay...

8. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Supply & demand, they can charge what they like, the difference is £36 for a PS4 even if it was £100 we will still pay it (doesn't bother me much yeah if it was cheaper that would be nice but isn't )

Simple solution, don't buy it or buy a ticket to the USA and buy one there.

Oh did you know they pay loads less for there fuel then we do (can of worms)

9. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

BTW a plane ticket to the USA costs a bit more than £36. Just in case anyone was actually considering doing that...

10. Teelzebub

And don't forget customs and VAT, you would be better off to get it from China at least you won't pay VAT

11. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

You will. Any goods imported from outside EU are charged with VAT, unless they are bellow some very minimal limit defined by country (in Slovakia, it is 22€ i think).

12. Teelzebub

Actually China has an agreement with British customs the Chinese collect the VAT themselves so they charge f all.

13. rollo

rollo Modder

Yes you could order it from China, No you would not save money as the postage costs would be more than you can save.

Console prices have always been high you could always wait 6-12months they will be reduced £100 minimum by then more if they are not selling well.

Pre orders of 1million and 800k for the new ps4 and xbox one are hardly ground breaking figures. Ps 2 itself was not far short of the million mark and there is alot more gamers now than there was when it launched.

Niether console yet has a game id purchase the console for so im in a wait and see mode.

14. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

The one thing that amazes me is how people are only just noticing this now as if the next gen consoles are the first to do it. It's always been like this for so many things. Especially tech kit, but also things like DVDs. Want a TV series on DVD here? You'll end up having to wait an age to get the whole thing in one set or buy the series in two halves BOTH of which are significantly more expensive than the whole series in one set in the US.

If you think boycotting the next consoles would make a difference I think you're mistaken, it's a much, much bigger issue than that.

15. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Bear in mind that US prices don't include sales tax in the states that it applies. Our prices do.

Wasn't there a bit tech article breaking the difference down in true monetary terms and once two consoles are delivered to the door in the two countries analysed, there was actually barely any difference. Maybe it wasn't a bit tech article but it was interesting all the same.

16. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

One of Michael Pachter's recent shows (in the last 2-3 weeks) covered the reasoning bahind this actually.

http://www.gametrailers.com/shows/pach-attack

It's all to do with sales tax, and also I believe in the US, any prices announced DO NOT include tax, as that's the standard protocol/different states have different tax, however any UK prices DO include tax as that is standard protocol for us.

The pound is stronger anyway, so when we travel abroad we get better returns on our exchange. Swings and roundabouts. But yeah I wish it were cheaper.

17. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

The last time I thought about buying a console was PS3 launch. I never did and now I no longer have thoughts of buying consoles ever.

You can pretty much guarantee whatever price something costs in $$ will have the same digits in UK pounds. It's not called "pound" for nothing. They pound us hard.