1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Constant DC from varying DC (in a small package)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Krikkit, 30 Dec 2008.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Hi guys, I've got a bit of a tricky problem here. (To my thin knowledge of electronics anyway!)

I want to replace the bulb found in some scalextric cars with a single LED. (The bulb light goes through some perspex tubes to come out of the headlights etc)

Can someone help me make something to provide a fairly constant DC voltage from the varying DC voltage that you get from the track?

I measured the various outputs, and it varies from about 8V-16V fairly quickly, depending on the throttle position at the controller.

Ideally I'd like something fairly simple that I can solder onto a single LED leg/small board to stick inside the car?

There are some 3rd party circuits out there, but they're full-board type jobs which need fixing into the car, which I'd rather not do. Especially because they're ~£10 each.

Upshot: I want a white LED to provide a near-constant brightness. :)

Thanks in advance! :D

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

3. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

That's the way to do it, not.

What you want is a Constant Current Source, which is easy-peasy with a 317 and a resistor.

For 20mA LED current the resistor value is 1.25/0.02 = 62 ohms

Circuit is
    Code:
    8-16V ----------- 317 --RES----+--------+
                       |           |        |
                       |           |        V LED
                       +-----------+        -
                                            |
     0V ------------------------------------+
    Look out for the LM317LZ 100mA rating in a wee TO-92 package. Rapid have it, as do Maplin at only double the price.

Last edited: 30 Dec 2008
    mvagusta likes this.
  4. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Damn you and your university degree!

mvagusta likes this.
  5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

It's in Metallurgy... :lol:

6. Krikkit

Nice, thanks cpemma - I'm assuming, from the data sheet, that pin#1 on the LM317LZ isn't connected in that circuit. :)

Should make for a tiny circuit, hurrah! :D

7. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I was thinking it could be done with a zener diode and a resistor? since it only has to drive one led and this would mean a very small size & weight.

The to-92 package is very small and would have like a 50x better result, so definitely go with Cpemma's suggestion - as if that needed saying :D

As for how to hook it up, check out the bottom of page 8 on the lm317 datasheet, where it shows how all three pins are used. You could use a smaller resistor like 39 ohm or 30 ohm to run the led at say 32 or 42ma, which can make some white leds really shine.. i dunno what type you have however? It wouldn't make a difference to how much power the motor receives btw.

8. Krikkit

Course it does! Duh!

Well, that's certainly a great piece of work there guys, even at Maplin's extortionate prices it only comes to £2.31 per car with a fancy 3mm white LED.

Last edited: 31 Dec 2008
  9. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

maybe add a 100uF capacitor before the resistor for the leds? so that the lights stay on a little while without the car moving, and in turns (does anyone actually release the trottle in turns?)

mvagusta likes this.