1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Converting USB 2.0 ports to USB 3.0

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by CrapBag, 16 Jun 2012.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I have a CM 690II case which has two USB 2.0 ports on the top, they do a newer version of the case with USB3.0 ports.

I sure there is a reason why I can't do this but seeing as USB 3.0 uses the same cables and sockets can I not just move the USB 2.0 cable from the USB 2.0 header to the USB 3.0 one?

I haven't even looked to see if the headers pin outs are different or not and I know there is a power difference.

Anyone got any ideas, thanks.

2. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

The header pins are different and the USB 3 port has more pins.

You will need an upgrade kit that either plugs into the motherboard header or one that uses cables to the rear usb 3 ports.

I just got the akasa 3.5" upgrade kit from scan last week.

3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yeh I had a feeling the headers would be different but just looking at my usb 2 and usb 3 pen drives they both only have 4 contacts which is what confused me.

I can't really use a 3.5" bay kit as I already have a 3.5" card reader and I had to find a nice member on here who was willing to supply with with the rail and bay convertor for my case.

I may look at getting a 3.5" card reader with usb 3.0 support though.

4. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

5. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Well... you could connect it in, but it wouldn't do any good as the extra lines for usb3 won't exist. It would just be running on the legacy 2.0 lines without any benefit. USB3 still has the same 5v, d-,d+, and ground for backwards compatibility which is why the pin header is 2x as big.
    [​IMG]

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Ah that illustrates it well.

Just had a more in depth look at my usb 3.0 stick and I can see the extra five contacts at the rear of the plug now.

Useful to know, quite pricey though and I was looking to get a replacement power switch for my daughters elite 330 and the delivery was more than the item itself which is only very light, god knows what they will charge to post that.

Edit... 13 euro postage, I may as well have bought the advanced in the first place, think my best option is like I mentioned earlier, replacing my card reader, my daughters reader is partially broken so she could have mine.

Last edited: 16 Jun 2012
  7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

If you have some l33t skillz, time and a local Maplin they sell USB 3.0 sockets for peanuts.

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Well I am an electronic mechanic (or was) for British Aerospace so I used to have mad soldering skills but I'm not sure I can arsed.

9. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

That's the spirit mate :D