1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Cooler Master ACTS 840

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 31 Oct 2008.

1. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I have been using the very awesome ACTS-201 for many years now and I am finally seeing a case worthy of replacing that one should I get the urge. The removable tray just gives you so much more flexibility and room when fitting hardware. One thing that has constantly pleased me with the 201 was the attention to detail with the internal finishing, even the motherboard tray rails had the corners polished off to stop you catching yourself on them. Is the same level of detailing shown inside this case?

Sure it costs a fair chunk but it certainly does look worth the money.

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Oh how I do so long for an mATX (or hell, even mid-tower) version of this case!

3. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I'm still using the LI pc70. Then i saw this case and i was like, wow thats a cool looking case. But then read how big it is, and was thinking do I really want another BIG case.

I wish the case was a little compacter then the PC70.

4. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Hmm. Might go for some drilled holes. Like on the side of my Mystique. At least get some air in. Cheers Baz!

5. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Bless Cooler Master. I was hoping B-T would have a look at this sucker, I just didn't know it was going to be that quick! I'm seriously considering doing an extensive mod on one of these.

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

:rock:

I can't wait to see a slew of mods based on this chassis.

7. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

It's only natural. There will be a slew of them too! It just looks like a bloody perfect chassis to work with. Really, there just isn't much I'd change on it, other than the quick-release drive rail things. I've never liked those. I'm an old school screws-through-holes kinda guy. :hehe:

At first when I started seeing spy pics of this chassis creeping up on the net, and seeing that they put the two large fans up top, I was like, "oh great....no rad support..." I'm glad my suspicions were unfounded! Nice of Cooler Master to do that. It seems very modular and flexible with what you can do with it.

8. genesisofthesith

genesisofthesith complete spanner

Do the ball bearings for sliding the motherboard tray in vibrate in use?

Any loose parts of a case vibrating can drive you nuts when trying to silence a system.

9. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

they're TINY and very very well fitted - we didn't notice any vibration from them at all throughout our testing.

10. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Woah it's a beauty :eek: Kinda sorta looks like Silverstone cases, but adds a couple of features.

11. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

I was gonna say the same thing, every time I remove the side panel the temps spike up few degrees on the 932.

12. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

Planning a mod based on this case right now, just waiting for them to release it so I can get one in and start putting it into CAD and then start designing the mod.

its a beautiful case in an of itself, but is probably the only case ever to make me want it no matter how much it costs.

13. DeSean

DeSean What's a Dremel?

That's one of the most impressive Coolermaster cases I've seen in a long time. (I've bought 3 Silverstone cases in a row).

I do wonder about those thermal tests though. Surely most people here choose their own case cooling based on their system - rather than using what the manufacturer provides?

Speaking of Silverstone... I'm hoping this rather tasty case will keep them on their toes. I've always though Lian Li were better for workstation type machines tather than gaming...

Has anyone noticed that the noise from really big fans is fine in the same room, but can be quite loud through walls and floors? (especially wood floors.) It seemed with one of my old systems that the hum could be heard in other rooms, but in the same room it was whisper quiet... Maybe just that house.

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

And they design cases that ship hundreds of thousands--if not millions--of units? :rolleyes:

15. warriorpoet

warriorpoet What's a Dremel?

I can't tell; are the HDDs soft mounted? Is the typical aluminum "hum" still present? What are mechanical acoustics like (HDDs, bearings, panel rattle, internal fans- clicking, buzzing, etc.)? Do the fans have any unwanted acoustic characteristics?

Can you tell I'm a quiet nut? ;)

16. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

High ambient temperature for this test; couldn't postpone it by a couple of hours for results more consistent with your existing fleet?

17. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Hows the connection of the front IO to the mobo when you pull the tray out? Is it necessary to disconnect those before you pull the tray?

18. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

probably will go for this case, even though i'd be looking at $600NZ, it seems to be a great case that would last me a couple of years

19. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Can't help but feel that someone is just looking for problems :p

20. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Actually Tile was right on that one, and wanted to comment on that but forgot, the colon was missing from the file name so. imagejpg instead of image.jpg. Easy to spot this yourself.

About the comments on the HD rack, I can imagine the hatred for this like i have a natural rage against any consoles. I stopped whining about that a while ago. Instead Tile could just buy the case and mod his own HD cage version into it. Problem solved.

Tags: Add Tags