1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Cooling Setup on S610 build - similar to NCase M1

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arboreal, 29 Dec 2021.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I need some advice on cooling my new S610 setup. I did ask on SFFN, but no one has replied...

Currently the M1 is running the following:
    i5 8400 on a Strix H370i Gaming with 2x 8 GB Corsair LP DDR4 3000 and a 'FrankeNvidia' GTX 980 Ti fitted with a Founders 1080 Ti blower cooler

It's all powered by a Corsair SF600 Gold, which I'd like to add a JHack 2426 to next year.

On the M1, I currently have one 120mm intake [Redux 120mm PWM] in the side mount (front position) blowing onto the PSU and a Redux 92mm PWM blowing through the U9S to the rear with a second 92mm at the back mounted on the case as exhaust.

I was thinking of getting a couple of Noctua 120mm Chromax fans, (not sure which variant F12 or S12A) ,in the bottom as intakes and have a slim 120mm Chomax lined up for the top mount under the handle as an exhaust.

So, the question he is will one or 2 120mm Chromax fans in the bottom as intakes going to help the blower cooler GPU and make the system usefully cooler?

Secondly, is it worth reversing the flow on the existing fan setup as has bee used in M1s elsewhere?
    i.e. 92mm fans on the U9s as intake from the rear and the 'front' side mount 120mm as exhaust?

2. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I think on the first question the answer is yes, because you’re forcing fresh air up into the blower cooler.

I think the second question is debatable. I tried both front-to-back and back-to-front airflow in my M1 and didn’t really notice a difference; that was with a U9 cooling a 5800X, which was a bit toasty under load. However Ali at Optimum Tech reckoned the back-to-front airflow was measurably better, and he probably put far more effort into getting to that conclusion than I did!

Arboreal likes this.
  3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Thank you @BeauchN, that is the king of good stuff that I needed to know!

I'm sure there was an LTT video way back testing forcing more air into a blower GPU and it didn't do much.

TBH, anything to quieten it down is going to be good. If I can run 4 quiet fans from the hub I bought, that has to help.
    Nothing is going to be louder than the blower fan keeping the 980 Ti cool.

I think I'll stick with rear exhaust for starters unless it's a big fail, can't see that it will. The new 120mm top exhaust should help a bit too.

Once I've been to the shops to buy an allen key set, I can then start the move across to the Sliger :cooldude:

BeauchN likes this.