1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Copper or silver?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tizz0r, 11 Jan 2005.

1. Tizz0r

Tizz0r What's a Dremel?

Ok, I'm looking into water cooling for my computer. It's a dual opteron workstation with a 6800GT :D I 've been hearing that the DD TDX is supposed to be a really good CPU block.
    I went to the DD site and noticed that they have the TDX in pure silver as well as copper. So I was wondering, is it really worth more than twice the price of the copper block? :confused:
    I'm also not going to be overclocking, because you can't exactly OC Opterons (to my knowledge).

Another question that comes to my mind is, would the water be too warm to sufficiently cool my 6800GT after it goes through two CPU blocks?

2. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Nope, silver is not worth the money

slater

3. Twinsen

Twinsen What's a Dremel?

Well, silver does work better than copper...but as for being worth twice the price, that's really up to you...I would say yes, but then I have a nice disposable income for computer parts

4. Tizz0r

Tizz0r What's a Dremel?

Well if I did have a disposable income I guess I probably would buy it, but alas, I don't. :sigh: I'm also not hearing that the silver brings huge improvements, so I'll go with the copper. This still leaves my other question though. What about the water after it has passed through two CPU blocks? Would it be too warm/hot to cool my vid card?

5. silentphoenix

silentphoenix What's a Dremel?

TBH if ure not looking to overclock, then youd be looking for silence. If you pair up a low flow pump (1048 or something) with a swiftech 6000 series block it should do the job really well. I also think the swiftech block are pretty good VFM if im not mistaken and better than almost everyblock (apart from the the best little river blocks) at low flow rates.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

You'll get two to three degrees better temps if you're lucky. Not worth it to me, but I'm not you.

7. Tizz0r

Tizz0r What's a Dremel?

If that's all I'll get with the silver then I'll definitely go with the copper. End up saving me lots of money. :)

8. slater

Nope, that setup would be fine

slater..

9. Tizz0r

Tizz0r What's a Dremel?

Sounds good to me then, thanks for the answers everyone. :D

10. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

have the silver TDX here, and while it is a fantastic block, its very expensive and the performance it offers over the copper one is just a few degrees (it also trasmits heat more evenly as well, so when you go from idle to load, the temp tends to go up at a slower rate than copper)

me? i dig that stuff, that last few degrees imo is worth the extra £40 or so (that and the fact that its bling bling shineh :D ), 99% of the overclocking/watercooling community? prolly not worth it

and youre fine the way you wanted the set-up as well, it doesnt really make a great deal of difference where the blocks are placed in the loop, usually not even as much as a degree

11. user0001

user0001 What's a Dremel?

Am I the only one that thinks 99.995% pure silver is total bs? Pure silver certainely isnt that hard of a metal and is quite maliable (bend a silver coin to see what I mean...). I'm thinking silver plated perhaps...

12. slater

No they are solid silver :eyebrow:

13. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

The S-TDX is my block of choice, just waiting on my income to match my dreams.

But, I'm gonna be heavily clocking a 939, so for me it's worth it.

My boy Rokk's done some great stuff, and I can't wait till he releases what he's got on the bench...

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Just make sure you have a decent radiator. I calculate that a dual Opteron with a 6800GT on a single BIX is cutting it a bit fine... You may have to go for a dual fan radiator/heatercore.

15. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

no, it is definitely 99.995% pure silver, there is a material analysis sheet availible from dangerden, and if it were much less pure than that it would be outperformed by copper

It is quite malleable actually, the brunt of the pressure on the block is taken by the plexi plate on top, but extended use of the block results in a cpu shaped imprint on the bottom. I had a problem with my silverado heatsink a while back, (heatsink with silver base) because i originally used it on an athlonXP and had a little square imprint on the base, which boned things up for me when i went to use it on a P4 :duh:

With radiators, its my belief that you should use as big a one as you can fit (on a high end system anyway), if you have a massive case that can easily swallow a 120x3 then go for it, as nexxo said, i wouldnt want to run that lot off a single 120mm

Last edited: 12 Jan 2005
  16. Tizz0r

Tizz0r What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I was thinking that I'd probably need a rather large radiator. While I would probably be able to get a 120x3 in my case, mounting it would be an issue. :hehe: This is the case that I have: ooooo mine is black though.
    Unfortunately it's alitle cramped at the moment and the only real place that I could put a radiator would be where the rear 120 fan is which would mean putting in a 120x1 radiator. I guess I'll have to start a project on making an external enclosure for the radiator and I guess I could throw the pump in there with it. :idea:

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Righteous case, dude. But if you are prepared to sacrifice the 7 Raid slots and the bottom 5.25" bay, you could put a dual fan rad in the front. Alternatively, the case is deep enough for you to put a BIX3 in the top and only sacrifice the top two 5.25" bays.

18. user0001

user0001 What's a Dremel?

Thats what I was thinking since it was solid silver. I remember the silverado (awesome back in the days). I guess we'll see how they hold up. Seems they could unseal easily in a high-pressure loop.

19. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

There's a pretty big difference in bendability (is that a word?) between a 1mm thick coin and a 1/2" thick waterblock though.

20. slater

When was the last time we had pure silver coins anyway?? There all alloys :eyebrow:

slater..

Tags: