1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Cor Leonis

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 28 Feb 2011.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Yeah it does look a time consuming part but does look in awesome perfect shape mate :jawdrop::rock::thumb:.

The 1 thing I dislike most about only being happy with 99.9% perfection is it really kills a budget :wallbash::lol: the time consumption doesn't bother me too much with me having plenty of free time but breaking a budget does & I've gone way over budget already, in fact so far over I'd much rather not add it all up :eeek::waah::duh::hehe:.

2. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thanks for the replies. :thumb:

Yes, the radii are made with a round file.

[​IMG]

This file is tapered, but the greatest diameter of 7.8 mm is perfect for making these radii. This file is also fairly coarse, so it cuts very quickly. You need to always maintain perpendicularity to the surface you are filing in order to get a good finish. I think the position of the vice has a lot to do with being able to maintain square edges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a photo of the inside edges done.

[​IMG]

Using a variety of files, any shape can be accurately made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Nice work showing step by step process. Looking good:thumb:

4. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Still drooling!

5. Tonton Buddy

Tonton Buddy What's a Dremel?

Woow, u're work realized with files is amazing!!! :jawdrop:

What is the thickness of the alu' tray? I've the impression that is a little bit thick no?

Very very very good job Attila!! :thumb:

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Chunky good looking panel, most definitely built to last :D I'd guess it's 10mm thick :jawdrop::lol:.

7. Attila

Thanks guys. :thumb:

Thanks. :thumb: Yeah these two parts together with the bottom tie plate are 8 mm. These parts need to be rigid and strong. The whole radiator assembly including the cover and the front of the shell with filter tray and intake grille will 'hang' off the front bulkhead. The rear part has to support the PSU 'hanging' below the central plate, all without flexing. Also, 8 mm is the minimum thickness that can be used for face to edge fixing with machine screws. Like Na'ir, this method of fixing will give a very strong and good looking method for making the main support structure. :)

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

So no need for any kind of bar frame supports, got it & yeah that sure does make for a super high quality clean look (the Attila trademark) love it :D:thumb:.

9. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Sweet work Attilla :thumb:, I bet that took a while due to the thickness of the alu.

10. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

Man, I don't have the patience to hand file aluminum parts. Your work is truly outstanding.

11. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Very, very nice work.

And, yeah - it's not too hard to file like that. Only, use the inside of your head, take your time, think about ways to create nice, straight edges, be quite critical as you go along and work slowly in order to be able to do quality checks on a regular basis.

12. RonanH

RonanH mod-envious

Awesome. The painstaking attention to detail and patience to achieve those oh so so clean lines is astounding :eek:

13. Attila

Thanks mate. :thumb: Yeah I'm over the frame thing. :hehe:

Thanks. :thumb: Yes it all takes time. But it's worth it in the end. :)

Thank you. :)

Haha, do I detect a note of sarcasm here. :hehe:

Thank you. :)

OK, once the two 'bulkheads' are almost finished, a few things still need to be done. The front part is significantly narrower than the rear. So I need to centre the two and fix them together. This is because, even though I measured, cut and filed very carefully, they are still not the same height. Also, some of the projections you can see are where the central plate fits. These have to be exactly the same height.

[​IMG]

Here you can see that one piece is about 0.5 mm or so too big. So this must be taken down to match the other part. In truth this is not really that critical but it's better to have them as close as possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, these are the projections (not all of them) that hold the central plate. these are also not the same height.

[​IMG]

But to get in there, I need to 'mod' a file. :hehe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've used this file on every project and it's very flat, so it will be perfect to even things up in here.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the difference in height.

[​IMG]

So carefully, these are all brought to same height, all the while continuously checking that the edges are square.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It gets progressively more time consuming as all the surfaces have to be brought down to last little 'low' spot.

[​IMG]

OK, now the fun part where I can get a first glimpse of what the chassis will look like. Now I always like to take measurements directly from the work, so in order to find out how big to make the lower tie plate, I need to assemble the bulkheads to the central plate. Because the two bulkheads are different sizes, supporting the central plate and then 'hanging' the two ends of it is the best way to take the measurements.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And once the measurements are taken (and checked three times) the lower tie plate can be marked up on some 8 mm plate.

[​IMG]

But I have to go and pick up Anika now. Back soon. :)

14. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Great workmanship! Where do you buy your files? Is the flat one a simple mill file or is it one of those specially made for alu?

15. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

The file God you are bro, period!

16. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Well Damn!!! That is how it's done? Next mod needs to be named Flawless Execution.

john

17. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

The cast iron set you have!
    I would have been very hesitant to chop my favorite file up.

18. Nitrixflare

Nitrixflare Building and engineering enthusiast

Yeah I wonder too, how did you cut up your file? :eek:

19. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Looks like an angle grinder with a cutting disc to me. That should do the trick, even on tool steel.

20. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

Files are about 10 bucks a pop from mcmaster, I don't think its a travesty to cut the handle off of one ;)