1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Cor Leonis

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 28 Feb 2011.

1. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Or they motivate you to start planing something! :naughty: Honestly I've been thinking and sketching a new project for 2-3 months now and must say this is truly inspiring work!

Keep up the good work man! :)

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

That's a real shame about the side panels. Could you not have used something like a gas spring to support them rather than letting the hinge take all the weight?
    Coming along nicely though. Genius idea for the sanding tool, might have to steal it ;-) Can't wait for the next update :)

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Attila pushing his own limits higher as well as the usual quest for sheer perfection + water cooling = many jaws scraping along the floor. :lol::rock:

And at the same time is awesome motivation to keep busy modding, it's my birthday & it was an awesome present to see an update on this as well as seeing another modder become a dad & my focus & energy back to regular level & the steam sale actually being an awesome one :jawdrop: happy day is happy day :D, been on the edge of asking if things are still rolling so awesome timing for the update. :D:clap:

Progress is looking fantastic & you already proven you can make nice home made water blocks so I'm not disappointed you chose manufactured ones, don't want any water cooling disasters happening to your first water cooled masterpiece due to the types of metals. :)

I like the pin solution you made up, I was going to use aluminium rods like dowel joints but this looks a better solution which will be more user friendly, shame about the hinges not being ideal for this but you'll work something nice out I'm sure. :)

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I have to say Nexxo nailed my opinion exactly. I bet whatever you have planned will be truly delicious, though.

5. Cleveland216

Cleveland216 Carbon Fiber King

I recommend using 3M Marine Filler or there MarGrip2 on aluminium. I have seen that off "cheap" brands can produce a wavy paint finish. I recommend wet sanding down to 1500-2000 grit, most people stop at 1000. Good job on those rivets. I wanted to use them in SSR-X but the tightness of the design just would have been prohibitive.

6. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Great work as always and very nice of you to share the info of what has been happening. A solution sometimes takes a while to resolve. I like the simple approach taken, light weight and very clean. :)

Good luck with the prep work, you'll have it done soon. :D

7. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

Grat continous work theye, i hoped that you would keep the ALU-finish but maybe some paint will make it look eaven better :)

8. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

That homemade retention plate just earned you some rep, good sir. Well played.

The side panel looks weird and complicated - I like both things. No wonder you had problems making gull wing doors from that.

Oh... and.... are you drinking while modding? ;)

9. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Oh, and happy birthday to Waynio. ;)

10. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thanks. :) Yes I like the idea of exposed rivets, but not these kind of rivets and not on this build. A couple of years ago I was planning a raw alu build and looking into making my own rivets. Solid rivets made very small so they would be more to scale. I was looking at getting some 1 or 2mm alu wire and making a steel form so I could hammer rivets with a button head. But I went past that idea. It's still out there though. ;)

Thanks ZiiP. :thumb: No hangover is a very nice start to the weekend. :hehe:

No internet for a day. :eeek: Haha, thanks mate. :thumb:

Thanks Bill. :thumb:

Thanks AnG3L. :thumb:

Thanks. :)

Thank you. :)

Thanks. :) The problem wasn't the weight. These panels are quite light. It was more an engineering problem, and in the case of commercially available hinges that worked the right way, a matter of scale. They were just too big and bulky.

Thanks Wayne and happy birthday. :clap:

Thanks cheaps. :thumb: This case will be very smooth and sleek, with a nice metallic finish. It's supposed to be evocative of super cars (as you guessed a while ago). ;)

Thanks. :thumb: I've used these kinds of filler in the past. A lot actually, on cars. In this case, the build film on these panels is about a millimeter at the most, in the lowest of low spots. This filler adheres well and dries tough. Also, this is a PC case, it will spend most of it's life in an environment with a temperature variance of 10 degrees at the most. It will never come into contact with moisture or direct sunlight, and doesn't have to drive over bumps and potholes. This stuff is easily up to the job. I've seen the wavy finish you describe, on cars as well as a PC build or two, but this is entirely due to poor workmanship. Oh, and it wasn't cheap. ;)

Thanks Craig. :thumb:

Thanks, yes it's paint this time and I hope it will look delicious. :hehe:

Thank you. :thumb: Yeah the problem wasn't because of the shape of the panels. The shape was (in part) deliberately arrived at for upwards opening. See above. :)

rwb97 likes this.
  11. paultan

paultan R E V E N T O N

I'm seeing MOTY for the grandslam! :)

12. iD2

iD2 Minimodder

very awesome , i watched your build log again and again and again..... :D

13. Ilias78

Ilias78 What's a Dremel?

Fantastic and very inspiring work my friend Atilla. Keep it up! :)

14. Frido

Frido Minimodder

Sorry for bumping - but has anything happened since there's no news?

15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Frido. :)

You really could put that quote with the dremel smilie on a t-shirt & wear it proudly while modding. :D
    Thanks to the bump Frido did I had another look at his last update & now I'm off to mod on with enthusiasm. :D:dremel:

Enthusiasm is so important to mod on, not just determination, without the enthusiasm it's sometimes just too dull, really need a slightly crazed twinkle in the eye called enthusiasm. :hehe:

Needed that. :D:thumb:

16. rwb97

rwb97 Addicted to modding

I honestly am speechless. Truly inspiring, INCREDIBLE +rep all the way, your craftsmanship makes me happy, and want to put more time, effort and care into my work.

17. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thanks for the replies. :thumb: I'm not far away from an update but the body work has taken an age. I've had to work on all the panels, in place on the chassis, to get everything aligned nicely. Still some work to do on the gaps. It's nearly ready to get the panels off and sand down the chassis for anodising. Here are some pics but I'll have a proper update soon. ;)

Oh, this blue/green/blah colour is primer and it looks yuk.:hehe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Johnny71 and Editor22 like this.
  18. FatPandas

FatPandas What's a Dremel?

Nice work so far man. Massive respect for filing all your components, I can appreciate how long that takes.
    I honestly like the aqua marine colour, especially something with a matt finish.

Any chance of a full body shot or do you not wanna ruin the surprise?

19. J-Lyons

J-Lyons What's a Dremel?

That colour is lovely, it is not yuk, you cat.

20. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Saw the shots and thought OMG Atilla is not going to anodise it! END TIMES!

read the post and balance is restored :D

Looks like some stunning angles by the way mate!